1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bart MK1s and OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Hey all...

I have a few questions, and I've gotten a bunch of conflicting answers thus far.

I have a GT-5 with Bart MK1 pickups. They have a red, white, and bare lead coming from each. Are they active or passive?

How would I wire the pickups to the OBP-3?

davidmwilson has helped out a bunch (Thanks very much!), but I have gotten conflicting answers from some, including Brian from BestBassGear. Now I'm all sorts of confused!

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a ton!

Eric

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Eric,
    it would help if you would describe how the wires are currently connected - where each pickup wire currently goes etc.

3. THe white lead runs to the blend, the bare lead grounds on the VU pot, and the red lead splices into the pre.

I checked with a meter yesterday, and the pickups are definitely being fed a 9V signal.

Brain from BBG was convinced that the pickups were passive, and said he recalled a Bart rep recently telling him that as well. I bought the OBP-3 from him pre-wired. The current pre in there has 25K VU and blend pots. He sent the OBP-3 out with 250K pots, as he was sure the pickups were active. He was very surprised.

He offered to have me send it back, and he's going to rewire it with the appropriate pots. He's been excellent to deal with, and I strongly suggest anyone and everyone check him out for any needs. Thanks man!!

Thanks also to davidmwilson again for the help!