Bart pot Q's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm realizing I may not have exactly the right pots in my Tobias. When I got it, it had a Sadowsky pre in it, and I got a used NTMB for it instead. I like it, but I think I'd like it better if it had the right pots. I suspect that the blend pot is 250k, which would be cool if it was wired right to the pups, but there's a buffer pre in between. I think I need either a 25 or 50k blend pot, based on the Bart website. Does that sound right? Also, where can I order such pots?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I picked up a Bart pre out of Tobias once. It was the exact preamp in the Bart XTCT-LZ diagram except it had a Gibson mid unit and it had the buffer. It distorted when installed until I removed the buffer then it was fine. Don't know if the buffer was messed up or there was some incompatibility. The preamp is gone but still have the buffer laying about somewhere. Gibson offered a lot of options so I don't know for a fact the pre I got was complete as removed from the bass.

You can determine the size of the blend with a meter. Stock Bart NTMB is 50K for tones, 250 for blend, and 25K volume. That's off my hard copy of from the Bart site. They've recently updated it apparently and there's already been one report of a screw up on one of their switching daigrams - which was correct on my hard copy recieved with pickups.

Personally I would stick with Bart recs on the pots and, if anything, make an existing diagram and pull that buffer and check results. Also a blend control is quicker but two volumes yield more control over tone. So if speed is not of essence, I'd pull the blend for a volume myself.