Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini 9E active/passive and/or battery on/off?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zanthrax, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Ok, I know that series/parallel has been beaten to death around here but I still can't find an answer to wether it's doable on my Bartolinis (9E active jazz pickups) or not. The installation instructions for the Barts can be found here: http://bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/active/9e/9e_active.pdf

Could someone who is more skilled at electronics than me please help? If so mabe you're able to answer my second question too?

I've been toying with the idea of installing a swith that turns the battery off so I can leave the cable connected to the bass without it getting drained. But somehow I've gotten the idea that it would produce a "bad" (a snap or some kind of "sparkle" sound) sound if one were to just install it so it just disconnected the battery.

#1. Is this true?

#2. If #1 is true would it be possible to eliminate that with a capacitor (the thought is that the power would drain out and not be just cut out)?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The 9E is a wierd setup becuase the preamps in the bridge and the neck is actually a passive pup and the suggested wiring is equally strange. EMG distinctly states series/parallel is not possible with their actives due to the fixed internal wiring of the preamp. It's likely that is so with all actives however I would call the Bart rep and ask to know for sure.

I've never installed a kill switch but it's my understanding that installing a cap would only eliminate the pop in one direction. However there has to be a way around it cause there's plenty of kill switches on basses that don't pop in either direction.