Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini MK-1 Replacements????????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RockBoxBass, Sep 6, 2004.

1. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

What are my options as far as pickup and pre amp replacements? Are the EMG soapbars the same size? Has anyone heard the Kent armstrongs? I like a more MM ballsey tone. The Barts are just too clean

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The EMGs are not the same size.
    Seymour Duncan makes some pickups the same size.
    Bartolini makes a US made model the same size also.
    Murphy

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    IMO Mk1 does not compare to US Bartolini, you may find you like the US sound if you dislike the MK1. I have several basses w/US Barts, and have had 2 Cort Curbows, 1 with the MK1 and one with Mighty Mite. I love the US Bart sound, have had Barts in basses passive and with EMG, Bart, and Aguilar actives, always very good to my ears. Comparing the Corts, though, the Mighty Mite sounded better than the MK1! Surprised me.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm pretty sure that I remember someone else posting a measurement indicating that the Bartolini P2's fit in an MK-1 routing hole.

That said, I recall talking w/ Dan Lakin before I bought my 55-01, & his opinion is that, the big difference between the 55-01 skyline & the USA sound isn't the pups so much,,, as it is the pre-amp.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA