1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basic differance between 4001 & 4003 ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 110s lover, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Says it in the title really, i really aspire too get a rickenbacker sometime next year (prefrably one old oldies made between 72-2000)

I thing is, i dont know the differance between 4001s and 4003s....do they sound or play any different? Which one is more trebley for instance?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I suggest you peruse the threads on this issue at the enthusiasts' forum, rickresource.com . Many folks who have played both for many years discuss all the fine differences.

The main differences are:
    1) truss rods - the older ones need a setup protocol so they are torqued, the newer ones adjust conventionally;
    2) the pickups have varied through the years, with the oldest 4001s having toasters and horseshoes, to variations on the high-gain pickups, and the newest 4003's having adjustible pole pieces;
    3) some years have a one piece neck; other years have a shedua stripe in the middle of the neck.

The exact contour of the upper horn and body joints have subtle changes; some early '70's models have checkerboard binding; and there are other subtle details over the years. The forum can explain all.

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    you want a 4003. it has the push pull pot to get trebley. the modern models are far more reliable and consistent.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The 4001 has truss rods that can pop off the fretboard ... the 4003 doesn't.

The 4003 is louder and fuller sounding.