Basic MIC suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by standup17, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Hello, I play bluegrass and old-time music, and my group usually plays without amplification.

Recently, however, we have been playing a pretty loud venue and will start using a single mic (with PA, no monitors) for vocals and leads.

I have used a mic placed in the saddle of my bass with some foam and it has worked fine.

But, I do NOT own a mic and am looking for some suggestions. I have used various "shure" mics (57, 58) as well as a "shure" kick-drum mic in the past.

2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    For ease of use and a good sound, I would recommend the AKG D112 "egg" mic. It doesn't require phantom power and almost will not feed back.

For a better sound I LOVE my older AKG C3000. It is no longer made (replaced by the fancier AKG C4000b), but you can find them on E bay for ~$200. It does require phantom power, so if the PA doesn't provide it (most better ones do), I use a little Rolls phantom power box that costs about $30. I use this mic in hypercardiod mode about 12-18" in front of the bass, below the bridge/ f-holes on the G side and get a good sound every time.

3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I too play alot of bluegrass, and I use a realist pickup with pretty good success in most situations.
    If you want to use the mic wrapped in foam approach, I'd just get a SM58 and use it till in breaks. The mics that Monte mentioned are definately good mics (I would add the AT 4033, or 4040 to the mix as well), but I don't think you can mount them in foam since they are both side address mics. You'll need some sort of clip, either on a stand or mounted to your bass. Monte, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Personally, I'd advise that you buy a short boom stand and get your mic out front of your bass by at least a foot, as Monte suggests. The real tone is developed a distance away. I've used both the AKG D112 and my AKG C3000 and they work great...just make sure you take note of the phantom power situation. I usually just use a K&K Bass Max pickup into a Tech 21 Acoustic DI, straight to FOH.

Just an added note: my bluegrass band has been using the single condenser mic approach for a while now (another great use for the C3000), in the same manner you describe, with no monitors. You mention loud venues...this is the very situation where we can't use our single-mic. Even without monitors, this technique will only tolerate so much volume. Any venue with lots of ambient noise or a low stage ceiling will be a problem. Email me off-list if you'd like more details.
  5. Thanks much for the info--very helpful.

Is the mic mount you guys mentioned something that can be built, bought, or both?

And where best to shop for microphones?

6. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I just use a mini boom stand. I've heard of guys buying clips for drum mics and attaching them to tailpieces, but I just like using a mic on a stand.

Lynn Seaton had his wife sew him a pouch that suspends between the bridge feet and holds his mic.

I bought my AKG C3000 on E-bay, since they are no longer made. NOTE: AKG C3000b is not the same; it is a cardiod only mic, not hypercardiod or cardiod like the C3000.

7. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    ... which it will never do. You can bounce SM58s off the stage. Ever watch Roger Daltrey? I'd actually use an SM57, and did, when I was playing in a sort of folk-rock group. The only difference is that the '58 has a windscreen for vocals. The '57 is a somewhat more utilitarian mic.

Boom stands are nice in lower dB situations and where you're not moving around much. I've been experimenting with a large diaphragm Russian-made condenser mic lately; there are tons of these around and they're cheap as dirt- like $49 and up.

Right now I'm not using anything as I'm only in one band and I'm playing rhythm guitar :-(