Bass Apprasial $

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rkybtmn, Jun 9, 2004.

1. rkybtmn

rkybtmn Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    What is the standard cost for a bass apprasial? Thanks.
  2. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    You'll just have to ask your local or area bass expert. Make sure it is someone who works on and sells basses as an everyday thing.
    At KC Strings we don't charge for a verbal, but we charge $35 for a written. If you bought the bass from us, we don't charge for the written either. Some shops charge less for a verbal, and some charge a percentage of the value of the instrument; a practice I personally dislike because there's a built in bias to increase the value. Usually shops will write the appraisal for insurance purposes. Buyers should be aware of that because the appraisal and what the instrument might sell are not necessarily the same.
  3. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    When I had mine appraised for insurance purposes he did it as part of the set-up. Which was nice, because it was free, unforunately it was only verbal and not written.
  4. Free verbal appraisals for customers is the norm rather than the exception for most professional luthiers. Written appraisal vary widely depending on the area and the amount of detail in the appraisal. Simply saying " I think this thing is worth X dollars" doesn't require much time or effort. A written appraisal with detailed listing of all unique features (instrument dimensions, listing of all visable repairs, cracks, etc) and documenting photos in many cases, requires more time and effort and the appraisor must charge the owner for the time. Like everything else, you pay for what you get.