1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass as lead instrument?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bigmuff113, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    By lead instrument I mean like for example the White Stripes, where is just Jack White on guitar and Meg White on drums, with Jack's guitar being the main melodic instrument. It's hard to find drummers and bassists, so I'm thinking of sending my bassist to drums and making the bass the lead instrument. Has anyone done something similar? Is this a good idea?

2. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    Stu Hamm and Michael Manring would think so! :bag:

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm sure it's been done, but nothing's immediately springing to mind. Could sound awesome if it's tight.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're asking, and I've never heard of White Stripes... but I have been accused of playing "lead bass" before... but I just play the notes I'm supposed to play, man... just playin' the notes...

5. The band Exit_International consists of two bassists and a drummer

6. Thumpy McGroove

Thumpy McGroove

Jul 11, 2012
    Maine
    Love 'em or hate 'em I would consider bass the lead instrument in Mudvayne. A lot of the time the guitar just "chugs" along and the bass provides the melody and groove at the same time. I could be wrong though.

7. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    When I was 17 or 18 their was a band called the switch blade kittens. I think they where 3 bass players and a drummer.

8. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
  9. a great band from the 80s that was a bassist and 2 to 4 percussionists/drummers was Liquid Liquid.

Grandmaster Melle Mel sampled their tune "Caravan" for the famous "White Lines (Don't Do It)". Good stuff :cool:

10. bass_walloper

bass_walloper

Aug 23, 2011
  11. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Morphine:

12. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the input guys

13. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Ever heard of a little band called Rush?

Rush does have very prominent bass, but not quite lead. To me, a band needs much more than just bass to gel with my earholes.

14. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    :bassist:

15. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    I live and breath Rush. Geddy Lee was my first inspiration to play bass

16. I've been hearing Bob Marley, and his music might fit, since the guitar is purely rhythmic and low profile. The bass, while not necessarily lead, sounds a bit more melodic in contrast.

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
  18. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Some guy named John Entwistle had been known to play a little "lead bass". My Generation. 5:15. Getting in tune. etc, etc.

19. bigmuff113

bigmuff113

Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    So I think it will work as the only instrument.