Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass bar crack?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by shwashwa, Mar 3, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    can someone tell me exactly what a bass bar crack is and what it would look like? if a bass had a bass bar crack would it be more difficult to sell or would it diminish it's value?

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i should add, if the bass bar crack as been repaired would the value still be diminished?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To provide you with specific answers, we are going to need some more information about the bass you are selling/looking at buying.

However...

Old basses generally have a bass bar crack or two. It happens, it is wood, and it cracks, especially near the bass bar/saddle/lower ff hole. If the crack has been repaired well, the value shouldn't automatically be reduced. The value of old basses is going up and up all the time, and much of them are riddled with cracks. It all depends what you are looking at, and the condition of the rest of the instrument.

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the bass is kind of new, around 5 years, and the rest of the bass is in perfect shape. i'm not even sure if it is a bass bar crack... there are 2 actually. both on the top table of the bass, one from the edge top shoulder extending downward, and one from the edge of the bottom extending upward. both are 6 inches or less, but they seem to be in line with the bass bar. if you were to extend them (draw a straight line between them) it would go right over the bass bar.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A bass bar crack would be along the bass bar. The bass bar is under the E string foot of the bridge. As I understand it, it would de-value the bass somewhat.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i recall hearing that a bass bar crack would be at the top or bottom ends of the bass bar, or both, as is with the bass in question... i was wondering if someone could read above post for my description of the cracks and tell me if it sounds like a bass bar crack. it has been repaired by a very good and well known luthier. the rest of the bass is in perfect shape. should this affect it's value?

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I did read the above posts and it doesn't sound like it to me. Get a mirror, if needed, and look inside and see where and how big the bass bar is.