1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Boot Camp - need an audio recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by phillm47, Mar 6, 2008.

1. My wife and kids are sending me to Gerald Veasley's Bass Boot Camp - hurray!

The welcome letter says one can optionally bring bring a cassette recorder, mini cassette recorder, or mini-disc recorder.

Any suggestions on a smallish, solid-state device that can be used for this purpose? Maybe double as recording my bass lessons as well.

2. Not sure on specifics, but alot of mp3 players have line in or mic in recorders.

If you have a bit of cash to spend, the Zoom H2 and H4 units get great reviews. Though it might be overkill ?

3. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    Have just picked up the new Tascam DR1 for $200. It records onto sd memory cards. Have not recieved it yet but it records in wave files and mp3s. I am using it to replace my Creative nomad jukbox3 that I had been very happy with but is not compatible with vista on my new computer.

The DR1 also has built in microphones.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Zoom H2 or H4 would fit the bill quite nicely.

5. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I'm looking for the same. There are a lot of stuff on amazon. A Zune seems to be alot for a simple recorder. You'll need to spend at least a hundred. I'm looking for one that I can use in the studio and during lessons. Loud places and intimate ones too.

6. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Zoom H2

7. Based on my needs, and research, and budget, I ended up ordering the Zoom H2. I was tempted by the Tascam DR-1, but replaced AA batteries, cost and size seemed more suited to my task (lower price as well).

Look forward to putting it through the paces.

8. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Ditto on the Zoom. If you want something that is solely a stereo field recorder, get the H2.

If you want something that has amp emulation, tuner, 4 track capability, PC audio interface, metronome and a stereo field recorder, get the H4.

I have a H4, and use it all the time to record rehearsals, gigs, song ideas, etc. Don't use the other features as much, but find them handy from time to time.

Sound quality is pretty much the same for both (i.e. surprisingly good).

js

9. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    What is the purpose of the 2 channel recording?

10. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I recently aquired a Marantz PMD620 to record practices and gigs.

I chose it due to its ease of operation, easy to read display and high quality construction. I also liked the fact it came with a wall wart supply, USB cable and a decent tripod adaptor. Watch out here; with many of the other units those are all add ons.

It also has a remote jack - which I hope I can use as a remote start / stop for record with a stomp box as the trigger.

It sounds great, and I've just burst through to another level as a player by using it!

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Sounds like you have a great wife ands kids! It's going to be a great hang ... My wife and kids are sending me as well ... they just want to get rid of me ;o). Actually, I'm one of the instructors and I'm counting down the days. IF you have never had the opportunity to meet any of the instructors, they are all really great guys. I know you'll have a wonderful time

I have an HBB minidisc recorder that I am thinking of bringing ..of course, I'll only be recording my classes

Mike

12. Thanks, they are special...but now that you brought up the possible ulterior motive... :p

I look forward to your class Mike, and meeting you in person.