Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ducati151, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducati151

May 4, 2004
    I might start playing bass, but it seems like it would be boring. It seems like all you guys play the same things over and over, and you don't get an recognition anyways like the guitarists or singers. What is the fun factor about bass that keeps you guys going and putting up with all the **** that guitarists give?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bass is only as boring as you make it.
    ImNotJoel likes this.
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My mother once told me..."People who are bored, are boring people."

And this holds true about playing bass as well. If you are bored as a bass player then you are a boring bass player.

It's as interesting and complex, or as simple and boring as you want it to be.

It's a statement about yourself as a musician, rather than one about the intrument itself.

Whatever "it" is, that's what you are. Basses don't play themselves.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All I can say is it's more fun than riding a Ducati. Safer too.
    Joe Bananas likes this.
  6. Welcome to talkbass, ducati151!! (used to be a Ducati owner myself :cool: )

Re: boring? In my case, the bass chose me not the other way around. I have been in love with the instrument for 20 years and it is just as much fun today as it was when I started. Boring? Absolutely not. There are always new styles, techniques, tones, venues, and bands to explore...

Re: recognition? If you strive to become a competent, accomplished bassist; eventually you will receive recognition from listeners and fellow musicians.

From the sound of your post, no offense, but you should maybe consider being a guitar player instead. I'd hate to discourage anyone from becoming a bassist. But if I have to justify the reasons why someone should take up bass playing, then it is likely a wasted effort.... because that person's passion will not be self-sustaining anyway (and probably not going to last long at all).

Best of luck whatever you decide. :)

P.S. what is the model / year of your Ducati?
  7. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    To me the bass is never boring. Played a few boring bass lines before. Some of the reason it can't be boring to me is there is so much to master to become the player I want to be. And maybe bass players aren't thought to be recognized but see how long the band goes without one before they are looking for another.

I play for me to be happy with what I do not to impress.

8. ;) :cool: :)
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    When you think about it, one of the basic parts of music (rock and pop in particular) is playing phrases over and over. With the structure of a song having verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge etc. Wait! They played the verse and the chorus twice!??

Drummers? You can take 3 different drum patterns and make a song out of them. A lot of drummers get away with 2 patterns, even 1, with the occasional fill.

Guitarists? Guitar riffs in songs are played over and over. Most guitar riffs are two or three bars long. And strumming? Ughhhhhh that gets boring real quick.

Singers? Say "baby" and "oh yeah" way too much.

How do you deal with guitarist's ****? Kick them out and get a sequencer.

Or continue as a bass/drum duo ala Lightning Bolt.

But yeah, what you put in you get out.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You obviously haven't been playing enough bass.
    Joe Bananas likes this.
  11. Not to sound mean, but you obviously havent been listening to a variety of music. There is tons of comlex and interesting bass lines/playing out there, your just missing it. Guitar and drums have boring music too. The reason you havent heard good bass is because youve been looking in the wrong areas.
  12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i have beena sked before "you play bass, isn't that just boom ba boom ba boom, isn't that boring?"...or questions kinds of like that. I usually just tell them you have you play bass to really understand or i tell them to listin to a Primus album.

I have seen many boring bass players who don't really do much, i have also seen an equally amount of guitarists, probably even more, who do the same exact thing with guitar as like 10,000 other people.

If you really think bass is boring then you will probably be a boring player. I think bass is more exciting because with bass you have a better oppturnity to eastablish your very own style/sound that can't be duplicated.
  13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I play bass because bass is, like, cool and stuff....yeah...
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ever see anyone get on the dance floor when just the guitars are playing???...........I thought not.

Everyone waits for the bass to kick in.

Without bass, there ain't no party !!!
  15. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Whoooaa! Hold the phone Myrtle! May be safer but never funner! Not for me anyways.

Don '99 Ducati 900 Super Sport
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whenever I slap, every guitarist I met becomes green with envy. "I wish I could do that... it looks like fun."

... ;)
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

That's when you pick up their guitar and slap on it ;)
  18. If Victor Wooten is boring, bend me over and call me Charlie.
  19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I second that, when you start playing that crazy slap type stuff, everyone kind of gives that impressed look...make me feel cooool! :cool:
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

It's all true, bass is as boring as it gets. You seem more like a Sousaphone type to me anyway. Sousaphone = chick magnet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.