1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass broke, looking to upgrade. Suggestions appreciated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6foot5, Apr 14, 2010.

1. 6foot5

6foot5

Apr 14, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi guys, new here evidently :) So I've been playing approaching 1 year now and really enjoy it!

I bought a bass and amp from my buddy who didn't like playing bass for $200 (Fender Squire starter pack bass + Samick BA15) Just recently it got electronic issues, and the amp was malfunctioning.

Seeing as I realized I really enjoy playing, and only paid $200 for the set I sold it off to someone who knows how to fix it, with plans to buy a new bass and a cabinet + head.

Now, where I need your assistance! I know nothing about the quality of basses in certain price ranges and am not comfortable spending my money being uneducated. All I know are names of big brands such as Fender, Ibanez, Rickenbacker etc.

I'm looking to spend in the $500-$800 range (4 string bass) and would like to get the best quality bass I can from the money. I'm open to any and all brands for consideration.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions. Thanks so much guys.

Cheers,
    Myles L. :bassist:

2. the best possible solution is to buy used. The used market, especially in that price range can yield some great basses. What kind of music are you playing? What kind of amp are you going to buy? These would be some great starting points to get you to your goal. Also check out the classifieds section and look around to see if there's anything that strikes your fancy.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    +1 and I would highly recommend G&L, similar in quality to Fender Custom Shop for a fraction of the cost, especially on the used market.

4. well, first of all thats great! Its great to hear bassists who WANT to learn and play. Anyway, that's a pretty good price range you have (more of a higher end second level bass). I currently play on an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV ($500 at my local guitar shop). As far as the brands you know, Fender makes exceptional basses. The Jazz bass has got to be a most recommended from me (made in Mexico of course). The other main bass that fender carries is the Precision bass. Not as versatile as the Jazz because it is mostly made for one type of music, rock.
    For Ibanez, I would've greatly suggested a GSR model as a beginner bass. Ibanez basses are simple to operate, sound exceptional for the price and have a very long playing life. I went 3 years with my GSR200, changed the strings once and never made any mods. I don't know too much about their upper level basses, but that's just my input.
    Unfortunately, Rickenbacker basses are top of the line and out of your price range. Even used, the basses still run in the $1000-$1500 price range. Rickenbacker 4003, Great bass, but something along the lines of a level 3 or 4 bass.
    Gibson and Epiphone are both great bass makers you haven't listed. Gibson is American made and Epihpone is usually Chinese and cheaper. Gibson basses are considered to be up there with Rickenbackers, but Epiphones re-create Gibson based models for mass production. The EB/SG model and the Thunderbird are most popular.

To sum it all up, I would suggest you buy a Fender jazz bass since you have not specified the type of music you play, the versatile tone and quality of the Jazz bass would be optimum for you. Great second level bass, especially because I know quite a few bassists who currently use the jazz bass as their second level guitar.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass?sku=501169

5. 6foot5

6foot5

Apr 14, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I've been playing classic rock (Rush, Pink Floyd, GnR etc.) But got invited to join a deathcore band lol...

I'm just 19, not making a heck of a lot of $ and I found what seemed to be a good cab + head for a good price (Behringer Ultrabass BB410 + Behringer BX4500H Head) But there again I don't know anything about them other than reading reviews.

I was looking to buy new but if I can get a better bass used I wouldn't object to it. I've alloted approx. $1200-$1300 for my new gear.

-Myles

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Well lets see, the P Bass came out in 51 and has been used in every conceivable genre of music since its inception as the FIRST electric fretted bass. It is in no way just for rock music.

IMO the upper level stuff is pretty nice but I simply can't stand Ibanez necks nor would I recommend the lower level stuff.

From every source I have heard their QC is very poor lately and the quality of the basses is very hit or miss nor I would I call them top of the line by any means but thats just me.

Every Epiphone I have ever played has been rather poorly put together and very muddy in tone. I would never recommend one and Gibsons are an acquired taste.

How can you gauge what is optimum for someone if you don't know their playing style, neck preference or string spacing likes and dislikes?

IMO G&L's are far superior to Fenders but again that is just my opinion.

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I would also suggest you take a look at Acoustic brand amps and cabs, good stuff for the price.

8. Well, what was the popular music genre in the 50s?

Preference

maybe it was just the one I played. Tried one of the only ones ever ordered to Hawaii and it sounded exceptional.

Well, maybe you should try the Thunderbird pro? The straight thru neck and decent electronics are what lured me, not the looks. I would agree Gibson is an acquired taste tho. an expensive taste.

maybe that's why I suggested a well rounded guitar?

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    But the problem is that for many people, myself included jazz necks just plain suck. If I had to play a Jazz neck I would never play bass.

10. Deathcore? :( Dont Do It!!!!! Stick To Real Music.;)

11. I'd definately agree on the Mexican Fender Jazz as a potential buy. I've got seven bass guitars from most of the manufacturers you've mentionned, and the Jazz is still my favourite, even more so that basses I've got which are three times the price. However, the Jazz is intended to stand out in the mix, kind of for slightly more 'showy' playing. If you're playing the heavier end, the old stalwart Precision might be a better bet. I play a lot of heavier stuff but still normally go for the Jazz over the Precision. Everybody always says it, but the best thing to do is head down to a good, largish guitar shop and try some out. You might hate the Jazz bass' thin neck, you might hate the Precision's slight lack of tonal range, you might decide you prefer another manufacturer (I'd recommend looking at an Ibanez ATK as well, in your price range and great for more modern sounding heavier rock). Best of luck with it all!

12. 6foot5

6foot5

Apr 14, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I couldn't agree more!! There doesn't seem to be much thought put into that style of music. I just think a band environment would be great fun for me, rather than standing in my room learning tabs :p

13. I would spend 1000 on an amp and 300 on a bass, in that case(ish obviously). Maybe squier vintage modified p bass, or a used made in mexico fender. I wouldn't have an epiphone as my only bass, because they're a one trick pony ( however a trick I like a lot). You also might want to try to find a used sterling by music man ray 34 or sb14. Both are great basses for the money. Buying used, especially from the classifieds section is a great bet. Most people on this board take good care of their stuff.

Also, back away from the bheringer ( aand or bugera bass stuff). Mostly they're not worth the money. Acoustic brand from guitarcenter is good, and if I'm not mistaken have a 5 year warranty. Also gallien krueger makes some decent stuff that, used could be great. You also might want to look into avatar bass cabs.

Craigslist is yoir friend. Also, don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket.

14. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    As far as fenders....

For about $800 to $850 you can buy a used 2008 American Standard P Bass.
    For about $400 to $600 you can buy a used 80's MIJ Fender Jazz Special (ala Duff), these have are p/j combo
    Squiers cost even less.

You have a good price range, go and play as many as you can (and and as many brands) to see what you like the feel of.

As for amps... troll the classified sections here on TB. Buying used will get you more bang for your buck. You can go to a local GC and try out the amp there and then keep your eyes open on the used market.

Used is they way to go IMO, a lot more bang for your buck.

15. The first bass I ever tried in a music store was an Ibanez Soundgear bass that felt really tiny (small) to me, but fell in love with an Ibanez BTB. Just make sure you try some first before you buy one...

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Yeah I wouldn't base my purchase on the type of band I was joining, or even on the opinions of those of us who might offer said opinion to you in this thread. You are the one that has to live with your purchase for better or worse.

If I were you I'd check on craigslist and go out to all the music and pawn shops in my town and the next town over and put my hands on as many basses as I could without even looking at the price-tags (leave your cash at home). I'd take mental note of all the basses that were comfortable in my hands,...sounded good and seemed solidly built and lastly appealed to me stylistically.

Then armed with that information I'd come home,...turn on my computer and research every bass I liked (Talkbass is an excellent resource for that). I'd try to unearth quality control and other issues, as well as the possibility that I could find a similar bass used (Talkbass classifieds is a good resource). Then determine if the bass is in your budget. Sleep on it and if the novelty wears off,...move on to something else.

I would seriously consider going used and trying to get the most bass you can for least amount of money. Check the Talkbass classifieds. Usually good deals can be had and the good people of TB tend to take pride in their gear and their standing. Provided you deal with someone with good feedback you won't get the runaround.

Keep in mind with used gear,...electronics are easily fixed (passive a little more so than active),...hardware is easily replaced,...neck issues (bowed twisted) are hardest and costliest to deal with. Buy a bass with a truss rod.

I say get the most bass for the least amount of money because to be honest,...I'm not to hip on Berhinger gear. It's okay as starter gear but it is not built to last. Any amount of gigging will take it's toll on the stuff. I've seen their mixing boards, effects amps and cabs all crap out at inopportune times.

I'm not saying "don't buy Berhinger stuff" but be prepared to replace it in the not too distant future.

17. Buy a used Aria Pro 2 Super Bass from the early 80's.
    Once you have owned one you will never want to part with it.

18. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    When I was buying my 2nd bass I played a lot of brands and models in the same price range that you have and liked ibanez srx and rockbass the most. I ended up getting a rockbass Corvette and its working out for me. Give the ibanez and rockbass a serious try

19. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I have a ATK and while I have the 305 (5 string model) I play lots of metal styles mostly Nu Metal, and some early Sepultra, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and some Funk metal RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE.

I also play alot of punk styles too though. So the ATK would help you with any style that requires a aggressive style. I use a pick and love the variety of sounds it has.

I just have one bad thing about the ATK it's heavy!!! So use a wide (maybe leather) strap.

Finally like the above poster said I'd also try out the Warwick RockBass line they have tons of models made almost perfectly toward metal styles.

20. Charvel basses are inexpensive and every Fender aficanado's nightmare!You can find the neck thru model 3B on ebay in the $200-$400 price range and they have a built in preamp,active pick ups(P-J),high mass bridge and the famous Charvel neck!.The less you spend on a bass the more you can spend on your amp