1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leonardobass, Oct 28, 2013.

1. leonardobass

leonardobass

Oct 18, 2009
    Hello everybody,i've got a situation that i need some help with.
    My current rig is an Eden E300 running through a homemade 410 cab, loaded with Carvin ps10's (200w@8ohm ea.).
    Now,i've been fortunate enough to gig quite a bit with my cover band for the past year. The only downside is carrying the damn cab around (around 70lbs:help:).
    So,I made the decision to try and downsize it (for my sake and my back's). So i thought about making two 210's,but i can only wire them at 4ohm or 16ohm,should use any of these? A 4ohm cab would give me the full 300 w,but will that give future problems with the head or the cab(the speakers already have a few years under their belt).
    Would wiring them at 16 ohms make me lose any of my low end?besides if i daisy chained both i'd get them working at 8ohm. is that a good choice?

:help::help::help:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd do them at 16 unless you need the 4 for a tube amp or something.

No, won't lose any lowend, and a couple hundred watts will push them as far as they want to go anyway.

3. Wiring at 16 ohms will drop the output power pretty extensively if you use one cab. Low end will depend on if the cab is tuned FOR the speakers.

4. leonardobass

leonardobass

Oct 18, 2009
    i guess 16 ohm would be the best choice to be able to use both cabs and have a reasonable amount of power to use,but if i just needed one cab that would give me what? About 1/4 of the initial 300w? is that even usable for clubs and other smaller venues?

5. You will most likely get between 125 to 175 watts @ 16 ohms. Usable, it should be unless everyone else's volume is pretty high.

6. It not the watts. Its the dbs. I used to gig a Peavey TNT130 until quite recently. I sold it to a kid in a rock covers band and he gigs it regularly. He's really happy with it. Its older than him!
    The difference between 4ohm and 8 is 2db and difference between 8 and 16 is 2db. So you're looking at 4 or 5 db really. You need 10db to percieve a doubling in volume. Your back will notice more that the audience.
    I wonder what a 4x10 coloumn sounds like. Awesome clarity :)

7. You might wind up taking both cabs everywhere just for the tall column monitoring. Get a trolley.

8. leonardobass

leonardobass

Oct 18, 2009
    I thought of that,but i've had quite a few situations where i thought the 410 was too much to carry and that a 210 would have been more than enough.Besides even if i take both of them,i will still have the weight divided by two,making it easier to carry than the huge 410.

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have a Carvin 2x10 that is wired with a series/parallel switch so it can be run at 4 or 16 ohms.
    Very handy.

Two 2x10's will weigh more than a 4x10 by one side worth of wood.

10. Must be some beefy switch. I wouldn't do it, one day you forget or select wrong and you'll put nearly all the power into the 4ohm one while making amp do 3.2ohms.

11. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Before you build anything, I would recommend using the winISD software. Then you could maximise the potential of your Carvin PS10 drivers.

12. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    You built your 4x10 and you're proud of it - why not build a Fearful? 45-50 pounds with stunning clarity, and depth. A truly professional sounding rig.

13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It was wired like that from the factory. It's similar to the Euro voltage switch on some amps. It's counter sunk below the surface of a metal plate so you have to use a key or a small screwdriver to move it. Can't get flipped accidentally.

I've used it for years with no problems.

14. howdeninxw

howdeninxw

Oct 28, 2013
    it should be unless everyone else's volume is pretty high.http://**************/10c.jpg

15. When I only take my 8ohm 2x10 the volume setting on my amp is lower than when I take two cabs and rock out. I don't have any experience with 16ohm cabs but I'm sure I could drive one quite well enough in the low volume situations. If it turned out more rowdy and had to crank my amp it wouldn't harm it and next time I would bring both cabs.

Lz4005 is smarter than me. Once I put my cab into my footswitch when I was hurried, blew a voltage regulator in my preamp. I prefer idiot proof. Not that I'm an idiot, but stuf happens.