1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cabs with 2 inputs (dual input/bi-amp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Left_eye_viewed, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Left_eye_viewed

Left_eye_viewed

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi all,

I’m looking for a bass cab I can run two amps into. I know you can do this with some Ampeg cabs, and the Peavey Megabox (2 x 8, 1 x 15), which basically have two inputs (not series inputs) so you can run two amps into them, one dealing with HF, and the other Sub frequencies. It’s like bi-amping but within one cab. The main reason for wanting to do it is to save space, otherwise I’d just pick up two cabs!

Keen to hear from people with suggestions!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Feeding two separate amps into one speaker cabinet is rife with danger. Even if the cab is splittable if something went wrong the OP would likely lose both amps.

With more and more amps running in Bridge the grounds within the cabinet would need to be completely isolated.

3. Left_eye_viewed

Left_eye_viewed

Feb 24, 2019
    Don’t think that’s strictly true... both the Peavey 1516 & the Ampeg SVT 810E allow a safe connection to two amps safely.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Carvin RL6815 Cyclops was built to be bi-amped, with separate High and Low inputs. This means your amps must have a crossover before the cabinet. The one I owned was unique in that it had a built-in crossover with a third "full range" input. Very heavy old beast, sounded good but I quickly tired of the 120 lbs. combo. It didn't really fit in the trunk of my Corolla and it was hard on the interior of the back seat.

I don't think you'll find anything newer, as bi-amping isn't very popular anymore. It's usually more trouble than necessary, and with good full range amp and cabs available today not worth it.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. SehlraC

SehlraC

Sep 14, 2009
    NJ
    What amps are you trying to connect and why? There is probably a safer/better solution. Are you looking for something smaller than a 2x10 cab sitting on a 1x15?

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    GK cabs are biampable.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Believe what you will. I stopped using 1/4” Phone jacks years ago as they are, in this day and age, an inferior and obsolete connector for the power levels typical bass amps work at.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021