Bass Case Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Feb 8, 2005.

1. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    hey all, got a question that may seem kinda weird (or maybe not...i don't know).

i got a new gator case for x-mas. it is a double bass guitar case...wood construction and a black vinyl exterior. :cool: but i know that a hard plastic case will last me a lot longer than this one.

now my question is, is it possible to recover the vinyl with a hard plastic? maybe something like a spray on coating (i.e. spray-on bed liners). ya know, cover all the locks/hinges/handles with some tape and put a heavy-duty coat of something on it. anyone ever experimented with this or even heard of doing this. if so, got any pros or cons of it? what can you use to do this?
    can't be too hard to do, right? any info you guys may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It will be heavier, and I would imagine that it wouldn't be real clean around where you taped around the hinges and latches without removal.

What kind of abuse are you planning to put this thing through? Perhaps an ATA flight case might be in order?
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The problem is that those wooden cases will flex if you sit or push on them and I dont think the bedliners are able to take that. They will crack. They need a solid surface to function right.
  4. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    no more abuse than gigging 3-4 times a month. i just wanted to keep it in top shape for as long as i can. i've thought about the flight cases, but like i said, i got this for x-mas as a total surprise. it is a great case, i just feel like after about a year of gigging, it will probably start looking rough.
    i carry two basses to my gigs and they both had been in vinyl cases...after about 9-10 months, the vinyl would started tearing and ripping where i had accidentally hit someting with it. started to look awful and i just want to protect the outside of this new one a little better.
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Leave the Hard Shell at home and use a gig bag. There alot
    easier to carry,you just throw em over your shoulder and your hands are free.Also you can carry extra stuff,such as tuner
    x-tra strings,sheet music etc..etc.. in the pockets. Let it take
    all the abuse and keep it in your hardshell at home. :)