Bass & Cello?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bdengler, Dec 28, 2003.

1. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I hope I posted this in the right place. I'm wondering if any folks on this site play both bass guitar and cello. At church, I have been asked at times to bow pieces. I'm finding the cello a heck-of-a-lot more easier to carry and play than a double bass! Plus I can also do duets with my daughter when the need arises (she's a cello player). Do others do it on this site, and if so, do you have any particular difficulties or issues? Thanks, Happy New Year, Brian
  2. you dont need to post this in 2 forums, friend 1 is enough;)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've only played cello once, arco, it was DIFFICULT to get a good sound out of that, easier than a violin, but way harder than an upright bass, just to get a clean and strong sound was a challenge.

They are tuned like upside down tenor basses(in 5ths) C-G-D-A correct? that'd make them a bit tricky I think, though I wonder if you could restring a cello to be E-A-D-G ?

I know Victor Wooten plays cello extensively with the flecktones, and he isn't bad neither.

He also has a tenor bass tuned A-D-G-C that he plays equally to his standard bass, so I'm sure the transition to cello for him, was a little easier in that respect.

Things that would make cello easier, the size and tension on the strings is a lot less than an upright, but that would also stand to make it more challenging I think, because with smaller instruments like that it's more difficult to keep good intonation.

but, having a lot of upright experience, would probably negate that.

I'm kind of rambling, probably haven't helped at all :p
  4. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio

Sorry. I thought different constituents posted in different areas. At least you won't find my question in the "Equipment" list!

Regards, Brian
  5. appler

appler Guest

I play cello on occasion when I have free periods in orchestra class. (I play double bass in the orchestra as well as violin) I don't notice any major difficulties. It's just different. Cello's definitely the best sounding classical string instrument though, man.
  6. I played cello for 9 years then switched to upright bass. If you know how to play upright bass, your not going to have too much of a tough time playing a cello. You dont need to press down as hard on the strings and its much easier to move up and down the neck.

The biggest thing that still throws me off is the fact that in cello playing, playing with the third finger is a normal part of playing, whereas with upright bass, the third finger is normally not used