1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Centre Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Feb 1, 2006.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Baba -
    See what happened? I hired you as soon as we moved the store from Calabasas to Studio City in 1988, and the joint instantly became a magnet for current and future bass legends. Thanks for being you, as well as the foundation of our teaching staff for so many years!

Every time I read a response, it brings back so many great memories. I also just realized I'd left out Trevor Lindsey (another great human being, and another amazing bassist) when I mentioned our teaching staff in a previous post. I'm certain I've missed a few others as well.

Thanks for the kudos for Nick (and for writing the letter to help get him into the school!) Now that he's done at LAMA, he's been Jonesin' to get back in front of people and play live again. I'll have him give you a call.

I hope you're well. We'll get out to see you again soon!
    Chris

For those of you whom are not familiar with Baba, check out his myspace page http://www.myspace.com/babaelefante.

2. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hey Baba,

It's nice to see you chime in. Yes, I'm one of your x students. I'm not sure you can remember me, but I'm the one with the
    1986 Warwick Thumb which I would bring to the lessons you gave me. I'm still using all those exercise you taught me for warm ups. Where are you teaching these days?

Roy

3. bassbaba

bassbaba

Dec 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Hey Roy,
    How have you been? Hope all is well!
    Yes I do remember you... I never forget a bass :)
    I'm teaching down in Fullerton at Fullerton Music as well as at my home in Upland.
    Great to hear you are still at it :bassist:
    Drop my a line anytime at belefante@gmail.com
    Take care
    Baba

4. orange peel

orange peel

Jul 2, 2009
  5. I used to love that place!
    I was a shy youngin living near Long Beach back then. I'd make my way up there as often as possible just to be IN THE ENVIRONMENT/VIBE of The Bass Centre.

The place was awesome and I have to mention this: back then we didn't have as many great and well known female players as we see now. When I would walk into OTHER music stores, I was rarely taken seriously as a new "bassist". I seemed like a novelty to a lot of salespeople and was often treated as such BLATANTLY in many cases, but I NEVER got this response from the BC staff. They were always welcoming, friendly, respectful, and helpful. They new I couldn't play to save my life lol but that never stopped them from plugging me into any bass/amp I wanted to try.

I was at the Louis Johnson clinic and it remains one of my all time favs. During the John Entwislte clinic, I was 1 of about 15 bass players outside with our noses pressed up against the storefront window trying to sneak a peak/listen! Haha

Chris, I "accidentally" met up with you again after Chris Chaney's clinic at Bass player live '08. I was sitting against the wall when Nathan East came in and sat in the chair next to me. You showed me a picture he gave you. I was happy to see someone from the old store. Its a nice nastalgic feeling to remember such a great place. :)

Maybe BP mag should give the BC a special "achievment" award at the next event. It was THEE hot spot and inpiration for many players.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    BassXgirl -
    Thanks very much for the kind comments and the trip down memory lane. That period was incredibly cool, and I'm very humbled that you made the long drive repeatedly to visit the store.

I appreciate the comment about an award, but I think the coolest thing that Bass Player could do would be a feature on what took place for bass players from the early 80's to the early 90's. EVERYTHING for bass players changed, evolved, improved, etc., and for the first time in history bass was really taken seriously as a stand alone entity, and not viewed as an easier instrument for frustrated guitar players. Heck, not even the bass legends that already existed received much press or recognition. What took place during this period is the reason that Bass Player Magazine was launched in the first place. It's a shame that none of the incredible series of events that took place (evolution of basses, evolution of bass amps, evolution of bassists, launch of bass only stores, etc.) were mentioned in their 20th Anniversary issue.

I am planning to be at Bass Player Live 2009. My son Nick and I had a blast at the 2008 event, and the part that made it so memoriable was running into dozens of old friends and customers (like you) who I had not seen in years. I plan on giving that same photo that I gave to Nathan last year to Rocco Prestia this year. It's a picture of Nathan East, Phil Chen, Rocco Prestia and Abraham Laboriel that I took after Abe's clinic in 1991. If you see me at the 2009 event, please say hello!

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I visted that store only once, back in 1991 after getting off a 3 month gig on a cruise ship that dumped me on the west coast. (I've lived on the east coast my entire life, so this was nearly a fluke.) Spent a day trying out fretless basses; that was the first time I'd ever even heard of F Bass. Really friendly/helpful staff, wonderful shop.

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Hoover. We were all bass players as well, so we loved turning people on to cool new gear as we added it to our stock. Then employee Ron Moreno was responsible for turining us onto F-basses at the time. Like other brands that we loved, at that point we were off to the races and sold as many F-basses as we could get our hands on. In a very short amount of time, we sold F-basses to Marcus Miller, Tom Hamilton, Mike Porcaro, Andy West, Baba Elefante, etc., as well as dozens of other great bassists.

I'm glad you made it to the shop.

9. The Bass Centre...I wore my thumbs tee shirt (fingers AND thumbs?) till it was a rag.

Also the place "I" first saw a Wal bass

Probably the memory that I most remember is the "McDonalds" setting on a Trace Elliot combo in the store: eq positioned like the letter M, which gave a killer slap sound and if I remember also sounded great for finger style. I could barely play then, but that memory really stands out for me, that and the Wal basses, and the bass players that just became the instrument when they played....

10. Chris-
    I most definately will say hello in Oct :)

I agree about the mag. I think an article on the Bass Centre and the roll it played is not only deserving, but I think MANY people would be interested to read about some of those stories. I actually think it might even give it more respect than if it was just a blurb burried in the 20th issue. They should include interviews with some of the bass celebs that came through, random customers (like some of us here) as well as speaking to you and other staff. I really do think it would be a great feature. We should forward a link to this thread to Jonathan Herrera. Maybe it will pique his interest in the idea.

Me too! I think I must have worn out three of them.

11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    A well rounded article that included artists, customers, staff, manufacturers and other key characters would be very cool. So many positive things took place during that period, I agree that it would make interesting reading.

The "thumbs" logo t-shirts...WOW. Another great memory. I think I still have my Bass Centre tour jacket. I just wish it still fit...HA!

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I only got over there a couple of time while playing in the LA area and was young(er) then:bag: I remember it feeling some what a of a euphoric feeling with all the cool high-end basses of the time.

Wish I still had the store Tee but I'm sure it was lost amongst the travels

13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Basswave -
    Euphoria is good!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

14. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Hello all!
    I never got the chance to be at the Bass Centre...but hope somehow a new similar place will rise up again to take my kids to!

Baba-I have spoken to you over the phone quite a few months ago about getting lessons at your store...Steve from Saddleback recommended you to me. Economy has taken a toll on my pocket book. I hope to be able to meet up with you in the future when my personal situation improves.

Best wishes to all:

R...

15. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Hi Buddy:
    Do you remember this one?
    I bought from Gelb Music in Redwood City Ca a couple years ago and it still has your sticker on the back. (on the crown on the back- hard to see).
    Also note- it ' thru neck- rare for George these days!)

It was pretty beat up: fretboard had pits , neck needed realignment, pick ups & guts were older style,
    paint was peeling in spots but it sure sounded great!

George refurbished her and put the new pick ups & guts to bring her up date.
    We call her the "Golden Girl."

He could not give me much info on her,
    but it was custom color ordered from your shop!

I still have not seen another like it!

I get a lot of comments from the girls about this bass.

This bass really sings! a 6 'er too. I did not know he made 6's in those days.

Can you give any info about her?

My instructor David Belove ( Tito Puente, Escovedo Brothers,Joe Henderson) has dibs on her if I decide to
    sell.

Attached Files:

16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Orange Peel -
    Thanks for posting the article about Robbie. I've seen him on TV several times with Dierks, but I have not spoken with him since we worked together in the 90's. I'd love to talk with Robbie and catch up if I could find a way to reach him.

On another note, I'm currently in Ohio on business, and had dinner last night with Mike Hiland who also worked at the Bass Centre with Robbie and I, and who wrote several instructional bass books for Mel Bay. We did this when I was in Ohio last year as well. Reliving all of the stories, artists, customers and good times in general was a gas.

Mike -
    Thanks for buying dinner last night!

Chris

17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dennis -
    WOW! A neck through, 6-string fretless gold f-bass. GREAT FIND! I honestly don't remember who ordered this bass, but one of the other guys like Mike Hiland, Ron Moreno or Eric Scott Williams might.

Too cool, and a rarity indeed.
    Chris

18. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Chris:

Agreed !
    It was sitting in Gelb consignment shop for couple of months
    and I just happend to walk in and try her out and ending
    buying her that afternoon.

19. Little late chimeing in here, but I live with Alan Morgan's son, Anthony. Alan will be visiting here in December...

20. WannaBeatle

WannaBeatle

Feb 26, 2011
    West Covina, CA (Los Angeles)
    Endorsing Artist: Pyramid Strings
    ok, I believe this is my first post on here..and I'm reviving an extremely old thread, BUT, I had been wondering whatever happened to Chris all these years.

You may or may not remember me, but, I remember going into the store for at least a couple of years when I was a teen and barely learning how to play. I was super Hofner crazy (still am, thank you) and tried out a couple of new Hofs that were in the store as well as a Rick and a Wal, too.

I finally ended up buying a Peavey amp and small items from ya. I also remember that it was you that gave me that Hofner cardboard ad that was there in the store, which I still have on display in my room.

I just wanted to thank you sooo very much after all these years and thought how cool ya were and actually a great and HONEST salesman.

me at age 18 circa 1993 with Mitch Weissman from Beatlemania
    [​IMG]

Hofner ad here (and some guy scribbled his name on the pickguard..oh well)
    [​IMG]

see ya next time!!!
    Mike