Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H2ODog, Apr 20, 2004.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Has anyone played an Ibanez SRX700 or SRX500? How does it compare to the G&L L2000. I'm looking to get a 4 string and was interested in the L2000 but haven't got a chance to play one. I have been getting conflicting opinions, I heard some say the SRX700 is just as good but hundreds less. I need an opinion from people that have played both so i can make an educted decision. I know i need to play them myself but i haven't been able to play both so i thought i would get some input from those who have. Thanks for any info you can share.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played a SRX500 and the GL2000. Both were nicely constructed and played decent but needed a setup and new strings to really test them. I remember the pickups on the SRX500 being extremely hot, I think I was playing a Precision at low volume before the Ibanez and when I plugged in the Ibanez it's sound filled the entire store.

The GL2000 that I played was very heavy (heavier than my 10 lb Corvette) by my standards. I liked the feel of the GL and the controls were pretty versatile.

Can't comment on whether the Ibanez simply is a cheaper version of the GL, because to me, they sounded totally different.

Hope that helped a little

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    G&L, has greater tonal capabilities. What kinda music are you playing? Oh, Happy birthday.

4. I second that, I found both to be very nice. The G&L however was more versatile IMHO.
    But then what do I know?

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Abark,
    I'n your opinion how did they sound different? I like a bass that has a low tone (if that helps)

firkinahsoul,
    My main interest in music is Blues and Rock. Thanks for the B-day note.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The G&L had a smooth response to it. The Ibanez has hotter pickups and is more of a ROCK bass. I had a G&L for years and wish I had it back.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Want to give me a day or two and I will give you a full comparison. It was a while ago and I didn't play them back to back or even on the same day. Both are at the same store so it won't be a problem.

I only remember the Ibanez as having super hot pickups and sounding way different from the GL, despite the same general kind of pickups.

I think the store wanted 450 for the Ibanez and 900 for the GL.

I saw a bassist in a blues band opening for the Edgar Winter Group playing a GL2000 about 2 weeks ago, and he had good thumpy blues tone, but he also got a great slap tone with the same settings (not sure what amp)

8. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    abark,

That would be great! Let me know what you find out.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No problem buddy, just answer a similar question if I ever have one :D .

10. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I have been wanting to try the SRX700.

I often visit the message boards on Carol Kaye's web site and she plays a SRX700 and swears by it. I post there a lot and she keeps telling me to buy the SRX700 over the Pbass. Btw. she did most of her studio work on a Pbass.

No store in my town has the SRX700. One place had the SRX500 but thats a bolt on neck and no doubt sounds a lil different than the SRX700.

I still might go ahead and buy my Pbass first tho. At least I know what they sound like.

11. I have an L2000 and think it is a great bass, very versatile sound and it is a very full sounding instrument. spend some time playing both if you can but I would go for the G&L. there is a guy selling a real nice looking sunburst L2000 in the classifieds here.

12. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    The SRX does have hot pickups, I would think it's tone is unsuitable for blues/rock. I own an SRX, I think you should go for the G&L.

But, try both.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I went to the store and the SRX had been sold sorry.

Played the GL. This particular one had grounding issues so there was a semi-costant buzz. The old strings made it difficult to find a good slap tone, but thumpy tone abounded. I didn't understand all of the switchs, but it played well, and was still heavy, balance was good. I found one setting that had a great growl that made finger funk a blast.

A little more than I would spend on it though, 950. All-in-all it felt like a bass that was very tough and well constructed.