1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Distortion Help !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamieIsOnline, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have a Vintage EST 96 active bass, and I seem to always get the same problem in whatever amp I play through -

The bass always sounds distored no matter what settings I play it through - It's never gone away but It seems to subdue when I roll back the treble on the built in eq but then it gives the bass a real dull tone

Is there a good EQ setting to be able to remove it or do I need to replace the pickup on it ? I've replaced the 9v in it so I know it's not that

cheers - Jamie

2. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Look on the amps and see if there is a separate input for active basses, my last 2 amps had this, it takes the gain down at the input, Good luck

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It happened to me three times, with different kinda pickups and electronics

1st time: MIK Ibanez SoundGear SR405 (late 2006 and 7 years of severe use) stock Ibanez made dual DX5 soapbars and 3 band equalizer;
    2nd time: MII Yamaha RBXJM2 (early 2009 and 7 months of severe use) stock Seymour Duncan MM6 humbucker and 3 band equalizer;
    3rd time: MIC FARIDA HB20 (early 2010 and 7 days of severe use) stock (reverse) P/J exposed polepieces and 2 band equalizer.

Every time I fixed it as much as I could but revealing to be an innate electronic defection, I arranged to trade the basses

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: cited periods are literal and no joke