1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass drum or “kick drum”?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by keith1r, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Bass drum

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Kick drum

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I’ve always used the term “bass drum” and not “kick drum”. I grew up with my father as a drummer and 2 brothers that play drums and they all call it a bass drum. I’ve heard the term “kick drum” was started by sound guys and recording engineers so they wouldn’t confuse the bass drum with the bass guitar. I know that you can not buy a “kick drum” as all drum companies call it a bass drum. I think of a bass drum as sounding full and big and boomy old school and a kick drum sounding like a ported drum that sounds like a basketball bouncing or the beater hitting the mic and sounding like an electronic drum.
    Which term does everyone prefer?

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    During load-in it’s referred to as the drummercan****ingcarryit

GTx2 likes this.
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Anybody who has been seen more than a couple gigs will have heard different people use either term.

You'll also sometimes meet musicians or SEs who make a point of insisting that everybody else use their personal preferred term; that inflexibility is almost never their most appealing personal quality.

DirtDog and LiquidMidnight like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My drummer calls it a kick drum, but I have heard both.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Both are appropriate. Most folks I encounter refer to the bass drum in a drum kit as the "kick drum". "Bass drum" is usually reserved for a stand alone bass drum in an orchestra or marching setting that is played by a mallet rather than a pedal with a beater.

SoCal80s likes this.
  6. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    "Kick" (or just "K") on a scribble strip got you past ambiguity faster than "Bass drum." Of course, by the time they'd run a few tracking sessions or live mixes, most engineers had habits. So even "Bass" or "BD" on channel #1 wouldn't be ambiguous if you were setting up a console in your usual way.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    No "carrots" option, no poll!

:D

Wise(b)ass

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Why two threads on the same subject by the same OP on the same day?

9. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    just guessing: one is about kick drums, the other's about bass drums

LiquidMidnight likes this.