1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass eq

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stickynotes, Mar 28, 2015.

1. stickynotes

stickynotes

Jun 19, 2013
    Has anyone tried to take a cheap bass such as an Ibanez Mikro and make it sound full. I'm thinking if I pump up the lows it will sound like a real bass. It currently has a small, thin sound even with a Bill Lawrence P-46 in it.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

In this case, scale is more of an issue than price.
    You need huge strings on these micro scales to get lows. I'd use 120 for the E, basically a light 5 string set.

bassbrad likes this.
  3. stickynotes

stickynotes

Jun 19, 2013
    You might be right about that although I also have a normal size jazz bass that I put a short scale neck on and it sounds just a full and round as when it had the 34 scale neck. Overall the string length on the mikro bass is probably still shorter, though I haven't measured it. I am just wondering, and hoping, that if I boost the 50 - 200 frequencies before the amp, it will round out the sound.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't hurt to try. Just try the bass knob on your amp for now as an experiment.