Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass EXPLOSION!!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Rimas, Oct 9, 2003.

1. So, last night I was setting my bass down, on its side (while it was in the case), and the neck dove down and kocked itself on the floor. Not too bad, should have been there to catch it, but I wasnt paying attention. So i took it out of its case, put it in its stand, and let it sleep. Today I played it for a little while, put it in its case, rolled it to my lesson (4 city blocks), and back to my dorm. Rolled it out to my car a little later on, and got dropped off at big band practice. While I was wheeling it around in the buiding, I was hearing a clunk noise from inside the case, but I assumed it was my preamp, which I had stowed in my wheel pouch. After finding out that big band was cancelled, I was wheeling it out the door, and the oh so familiar feeling of the neck joint coming unglued and wobbling around happened. So I set it down and took the bridge and feet out of the case, and than put it in my car and took it home.

Opened it up to find that my bass had exploded. The last time the neck came unglued, it was a clean break, that only took some regluing. They definitely used the right glue, because this time it took some of the purfling/bass top with it. I looked at the joint, and found some paper that had probably been used to wedge the joint and make a snug fit. (???)Im pretty sure that the previous guys that repaired it wouldnt have used this, so it must have been from a neck repair before I owned the bass (which they said had been the case). I have no Idea why they would have left a shoddy repair in place while gluing the joint, because they had to re-angle the neck, etc, in order to repair it properly. So I'm off to hammond ashley's tomorrow...

But i figured as long as I'm biting the bullet Im getting some new strings too...:D :( :bawl:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    did Hammond Ashely do this repair the first time?

3. Lundins violins in spokane did. I dont know if they did it wrong or right, Hammond Ashley's will tell me that. But Im taking it to HA in confidence, thats where I get all my other repairs done. Ill report back in a few hours.

4. That's bad luck, hope it turns out OK. I once knocked the neck off my bass, two hours before a gig. I could'nt find one to borrow, so attacked it with my power-drill and three 100mm screws. Those damned screws stayed in there for about 8 or 9 years before I got round to regluing it!

5. Wow, thats daring.. i dont think there are many circumstances where i would ever even consider attacking my bass with a drill. IE, i showed up fpr my lesson today with my electric... and got drilled.

6. Well, apparently the joint on the bass was not built correctly to begin with. I forget what the technical term is, but the trough that the neck sits in is not cut deep enough, so HA wants to cut it deeper, reducing the string length to the equivalent of a 1/2 size (5/8th to begin with). This repair would cost me $1100. I talked to them about trading in the bass and applying the credit towards another. They are going to give me 1000 for the bass (they said once repaired it would sell for around 1800).SO Im going to apply the credit towards a fully carved bass in the 4-5000 range. Right now I have a pre world war II german bass that sounds pretty good( out on trial), and they also reccommended and showed me some chinese (christopher?) and bohemian basses, which were new. I was pretty impressed with the christopher, but of course am drawn to the german bass, it has a much warmer tone. The german bass has two cracks on the top which have been repaired, but not according to proper luthier methods. I guess they didnt use hide glue and tacks like normal, but they said that the repairs are pretty strong and the previous owner had it for 4 years with no problems. One of the cracks is beginning to indent, but they said that if properly taken care of, it wouldnt get to an extreme/in need of repair state for about 10-15 years, if it ever does. This bass has also been refinished, and has a fingerboard which looks to be rosewood, but they werent sure. They assured me that it was hard enough, referring again to the previous owner, and its also thick enough, in case I ever need to get it replaned. If I do end up going to school in new york next year, they said that they would give me a 100% exchange on the bass, in case I didnt want to take the chance of those cracks opening up.

I think the german has good karma too. Ive lived in seattle for two years and havent met any kids my age that play jazz, and today, a kid who ended up being a friend of a friend of mine (from billings MT), and is studying at Cornish for jazz, knocked on my door, and we jammed on a few charts.:D

SO, any advice you guys want to give me would be much appreciated... Im gonna go cruise the other forums and dig up info on bohemian and chinese bass's.

7. Nother question, but same thread. Just found a crack on the bottom near the endpin in the german bass. Im sure theyll fix it, considering i havent even begun to pay for the bass, but im just wondering what this takes, and how long the wait'll be.. its about 4 inches long, looks fairly old, runs parrallel to the top of the bass.

Does this simply include throwing some putty and woodglue in there, or do the have to do more complicated stuff?

8. In case anyone reads my posts besides me...
    They are going to tack the crack and my bass will be ready to go on tuesday.