Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Fine Tuner Source?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Pete G, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Does anyone know of a vendor who is currently selling fine tuners for basses?

2. Check out the Pecanic tailpiece, It may be what you're looking for

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Are you asking about Fine-Tuners like used on cello, viola or violin?

Cellos, violas and violins have hardwood pegs that are very difficult for young players to tune properly without the aid of mechanical fine-tuners on the tail peice.

Basses don't typically use Fine-Tuners, as we have a geared tuning peg that are much easier for young players to tune properly.

(If the cellos, violas and violins would just be quiet while we tune with the harmonics.)

4. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I am indeed asking about fine tuners like those used on violins, etc., and not "tuning machines" or "machine heads."

I know bassists don't usually use them, but they are a godsend for those of us who play basses with extensions.

So...

Does anyone know a vendor who sells these?

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks, Strings Freak!

Okay.... I remember seeing those on some rental instruments. They are heavy, but they do work. PeteG- is there a problem with your extension/tuning?

6. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Francois, thanks for the links, but I want to get a fine tuner that fits on a normal tailpiece just for the E string (in my case, a long C).

And no, Nick, there's no problem with the extension at all. It's just the nature of extensions that most of the time, most of us play them with one or more of the capos closed. Thus, in order to make minute tuning adjustments in the course of a performance or rehearsal, we are obliged to first, open the capo or capos (four in my case), retune, then close the capo(s) again.

Whereas, with a fine tuner, you only need turn the knob in or out a tad, and Bob's your uncle. No need to open and close capos to make the adjustment.

I've had one on my principal bass for decades, and can't imagine playing an extension bass without one. Now I want one for my backup bass.

The problem is that no one seems to sell them any more... Or do they?

7. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
  8. If you can't find one, it shouldn't be too hard to make one....especially if you got one on your bass to copy.