1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Fly Rig support/communication fail. (Resolved)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassie12, Jun 12, 2017.

1. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Less than a year ago, I bought a Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig. Even though some parts of the device were disappointing, the tuner, Sansamp, DI, and boost in one convenient package made it worth keeping in the gig bag.

Recently, the little rubbery knob grips started falling off and one has been lost. The Tech 21 website sells these little wonders for the Guitar Fly Rigs, but the bass version is a different size and, unlike the guitar version, the indicator line is on the knob gripper and not the knob itself.

So, I wrote a letter to Tech 21 support a few days ago, asking to purchase a set of knob grips. They promptly replied: "Thanks for your inquiry. The Bass FlyRig uses bigger knobs than the guitar versions, so the grippers aren't necessary. (If you compare the product photos on our website you might be able to see what I mean.)"

Not the answer I was hoping for. If they aren't necessary, why include them at all and why not use knobs with indicators? Guess I lose.

Moral of the story: Don't lose the bits that are most likely to fall off your Bass Fly Rig.

I'm building up three boards for specific rigs/gigs and was considering incorporating some VT pedals. Not so much anymore...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yeah, the correct answer was "send US your shipping address and we'll get those out to you right away, and thank you for using Tech21 products", or, as a distant second "the BFR knob condoms are available for $1.99ea. How many would you like? ".

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So some of the parts were disappointing and the rest just fell off? Where can I get one of these????

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    This sounds like a lost opportunity on their part :meh: I hope @tech21nyc eventually comes through for you.

5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I have a few tech 21 products and I have seen them as well built and good units. I looked at the bass fly rig, but I've heard a lot of negative things about this unit, so I decided to pass on it until the day they decide to bring it up to par with some of their other items

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    It sounds like a communication problem. The Bass Fly Rig does not use the same knobs as the Fly Rig 5 etc., and there are no "knob grippers" that come with the product. Our tech support person will write you back .

irjason, Roland GR 88, ak56 and 2 others like this.
  7. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Tech 21 has contacted me and is making things right.

8. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Well, regardless how one may feel about Tech 21 and their products, it took 21 minutes for them to respond to this thread.
    OP, you might consider editing the thread title in return.

9. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The way I look at it, the OP forced the company's hand by posting a review on this thread.

Anything after the first "we are not going to help you" is just damage control. It seems to be working considering that you are sticking up for them.

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    As I stated yesterday, there was a miscommunication. The OP wrote and asked for knob grippers which are not used on the Bass Fly Rig. Our response:

I'm not sure why this was interpreted as "we won't help you." Had the OP written back and clarified what he meant we would have gladly helped. The Knob Grippers for the original Fly Rig and RK5 are accessory items. The control knobs are a replacement part.

BrentSimons and Dave W like this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Great CS as usual @tech21nyc!

The manufacturers that actively participate on these boards really do a fantastic job.

12. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I don't subscribe to the 'us vs. them' approach to commerce.
    I don't give up after 1 strike and post my dis-satisfaction on the internet either but props to the OP for the edit. I hope he gets what he needs.

And this...

13. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    A week later, after some private communications, I received the parts I originally asked to purchase, free of charge. Thank you Tech21 for stepping up. There was some confusion as to the nomenclature of the parts I needed. These are knobs and not "knob grippers." They are not available for sale on the website, as are the knob grippers.

irjason likes this.