Bass friendly flangers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nappingcracker, Mar 6, 2006.

1. So what do people reccommend for flanging bass? I have spent too much money and board realestate on synth and envelope filters, but now I want jet engines and "what was that? did someone slip something in my koolaid?" effects sooo recommendations for "not-boutique-read-too-expensive" pedals would be appreciated.

I noticed that the boss flanger had a bass-specific model (bf-2?), is this important? I thought that most modulated effects were not very bass/guit specific. For some "I want to support the underdog" reason, I avoid Boss, but if that is the place for the sound... we'll see (not like digitech is an underdog per-se :/ )

so... whats the story for small(ish) flangers with bass?
  2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, I've got the Boss BF-3, and I love it. It has dual inputs, one for guitar, and one for bass. The Boss BF-2 only has one input, but supposedly sounds a fair amount better than the BF-3 (which already sound spretty dman good IMO).

I've tried the DigiTech flanger, and didn't think much of it. The new MXR flanger looks pretty sweet, but I haven't tried it out myself yet.

3. cool, thanks, Dash

has anyone heard a bass run through the Guyatone fl-3? (little pink box)
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sheesh: As far as I can see, Boss IS the underdog around here!

Boss stuff has really been doing me right.

5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've a BF-2. Nice insane 'jet-passing overhead' sounds.
  6. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I bought a used EHX Electric Mistress pretty cheap. It's a bit "thicker" sounding than the Boss, but more expensive unless you find it used. The Boss sounds pretty good, imo.
  7. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I never tried, but something is telling me that Ibanez FL9 is good.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Boss used to make a bass flanger. It was called teh BF-2B and is a rarity. Every once and a while you'll see one up on eBay. The BF-2 is, some would say, much better than the BF-3.

DOD made a bass flanger also. The FX72 I think it was. I own it and I don't know the name :confused: . Anyway, it's really good also.

I tried the Ibanez DFL once, it was ok, but sounded to tube-y. Not amp tube, sound moving through a plastic tube.

Bass flangers, different from guitar flangers, flange the lower harmonics so that the sound won't get muddy. At least that's the main difference if I remember right.

In end, I like DOD better, I've never played the BF-2B. I'm told that's a good one too. You just have to play around and see what's best for you.
  9. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I really dont like any of guyatones little stopboxes. they are cheaply made but more importantly everyone i have owned sucks up tone
  10. Awesome, good input, all.

haha; true, that. Seems like the boss flanger has a solid following though. Does the bass version have a different sound (aside from sweeping the lower spectrum) in regard to subtle/insaneo trippy?

EHX mistriss huh? Man I love EHX, but those boxes are friggin 'uge! I'll see if the stores here have any I can demo.

:crying: I was hoping I could get away with one (damn I could fit 30 of those things in the space that is currently taken by 7 pedals). As far as tone suck, I noticed that people here dig the md-3 (delay), which guyatone stomps did you not like?

I am really looking for nutso-captain-crazy FX, I do not use any with my band, but I go nuts on my own projects and quest jams with friends.
  11. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I also have a BF-2, and like the possiblities with it, which I'm sure are similar to the BF-3
    I owned the MXR-101 and was not impressed, I just coulnd get a good sound out of it, and when I did, it just sucked to much bass out of my tone.
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've owned a couple of the 1970's and early 80's DOD flangers, and to my ears they are the best flangers ever. Super thick and strong. And on the rare occasion that they happen to pop up on ebay, you can usually get them fairly cheaply.
  13. Search foran old Ibanez Flange from the 70' is so lush and thick you just want to wrap yourself up in it!!!
  14. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I've owned a BF-3 and it was not very good. It sounds very harsh, and not lush and warm. I'd definitely suggest you get a BF-2 instead.
  15. BF-2 is a great flanger. I prefer the taiwanese version of the japanese... it sounds a bit more spacey and transparent. And hey, if it good enough for Justin Chancellor to use and record 46&2 with, its good enough for me!
  16. so everyone is more into the bf-2 vs the bf-2b??

does the muddying of the lower frequencies sound good?
  17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I seem to remember it being said that the BF-2 has (I think) three trimmers inside - so if you'd get conflicting reports about different ones sounding different, it could very-well be due to different trimmer settings!

Can someone else confirm this?

Does the BF-3 have trimmers too?

18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  19. cool, thanks Ibanks, this is your bf-2?
    I'll listen when I get home tonight.
  20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI