Bass fuzz pedals at reasonable prices

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EssJay, Feb 18, 2010.

1. EssJay

EssJay

Dec 23, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Lately I've been finding myself in love with bass fuzz pedal sounds and I've been thinking of looking for one lately, but I'm not wanting to spend alot, a maximum of $250AUD (about $220USD). Can anyone give me some suggestions other than the big muff pi?

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    www.bassfuzz.com

Check out the big list of fuzz reviews.

Off the top of my head:
    Brassmaster & clones
    Fuzz face & clones
    Tonebender & clones
    Tubescreamer & clones
    MXR Blue Box
    Brown Dog
    Mastotron
    Wooly Mammoth

3. My fave Bass-specific uber-fuzz pedal is the Electronix Messdrive.

NOT subtle, NOT versatile - basically it's on or off with a tone and volume control and a toggle switch for mild or wild.

With my Precision I can get feedback at semi-sensible gig volume.

4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    my choice would be and still is the Way Huge Swollen Pickle

5. +1 re Mammoth - lay back & fuzz your face off!

6. EssJay

EssJay

Dec 23, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Just having a look at some reviews on youtube and bassfuzz and that one doesn't sound too bad, although I am quite liking the sound of the MXR el grande fuzz, is anyone who's played one able to give some info on that?

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    you can get a Little Big Muff used for about $40. The sound is great, why spend so much more for one of the botique pedals, especially if you are playing bar gigs.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The OP said besides big muffs...

Have you been onto www.tonefactor.com? Brad might ship to AU. He runs sales about once a month which cuts down on cost a bit.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The MXR Blowtorch is usually dirt cheap used and only $140 US new- it's probably my favorite fuzz.

10. Fender Sub-Lime Bass Fuzz. Yes it is big and green but it sounds so good!

11. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I'm a big fan of T-Rex's BassJuice.

Not the dirtiest box in the world, but it is a straight up retro fuzz sound. It is true bypass and the Mix knob built in allows you to blend your clean and dirty sound easily.

12. I'm a big fan of using tonefactor,... Brad emails me straight away about anything and has one of the quickest deliveries to AU than anything ive experienced,... with a high conversion rate around 90c from AUD - USD I grabbed myself a fair few bargains compared to what outrageous prices australia has for alot of pedals :(

that and if you want the boutique stuff like devi etc, http://www.analoguehaven.com/ is an awesome place as well

use bassfuzz.com as recommended and im sure you will have a whole heap to choose from!

13. alexcolaco

alexcolaco

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi.
    didn't want to star a new thread. I only have one question, don't know if had been talked about here or not.

Is it possible to connect two different bass fuzz pedals and play with both turned on? What could happen and if there are any implications in doing so.

Thanks

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can connect a thousand fuzzes and play through them all at once if you want to. The only thing that will change is that it will make your signal, well, fuzzier, and you just have to watch the output level on each as adding more gain pedals can (obviously) boost the amount of gain going into your amp.

15. EssJay

EssJay

Dec 23, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    I've actually heard of them before, didn't realise, but a mate was saying he was thinking of getting one of their Death By Audio Soundwave fuzzes a while back for his guitar. I'll have to check them out and see what they offer, thanks man.

EDIT: Oh my god, I really need to check them out, I just discovered a pedal on there that, including shipping, is still $100 cheaper than I've seen it anywhere over here.

16. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    I vote for any for of an EHX Muff. Cheap and most clones are based off these pedals and for the price you won't be Disappointed.
    that or the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

Or a Blackout audio musket. it's just Pure BADASS!

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He said no Big Muffs. Vote fail :D

18. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    Damn. That's what I get for not reading the whole post. But still Swollen Pickle or Musket. can't go wrong.

19. alexcolaco

alexcolaco

Feb 10, 2010
    ok. I asked because i was hoping to play through my little big muff settings and add the boost or deep switch that a EHX bass big muff or MXR El grande provides.

20. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    the term "fuzz" or even distortion is very subjective to what every individual wants to hear. some people like a more natural fuzz like the big muff or a more synth sound like the zvex. i think going to youtube searching bass and fuzz will get you closer to what kind of fuzz you are looking for.

once you get in the ballpark of what direction you are going then its narrowing down the choices with price and sound.

the three i have currently are cool cat fuzz for just a small taste of fuzz. the brown dog for a gated synthy fuzz and the nocto loco for an over the top dry gate fuzz and octaver.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021