1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass guitar for beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by headbanger70, Oct 27, 2018.

1. headbanger70

headbanger70

Oct 27, 2018
    Hi guys,
    I'm new in bass playing. Since approx. 6 years I'm playing e-guitar.
    Now I beginn to write my own riffs/songs. So I need a bass for my bass lines :)

But there are some requirements I have:
    • Budget max. 400.-€/ $460
    • Music style: hard rock, metal
    • Need the bass only for songwriting. That means I play it not really often. Mostly I play my electric guitar
    • I play the bass guitar through my usb-interface --> daw --> vst amp + cab. So no "real" one is available!
    • brand: Ibanez, Epiphone, Fender, ESP LTD, Schecter....not really sure which one is the best for my kind of music
    • primarily I will play with a plek
    • humbucker/single coil --> not sure....I only know that single coil will make some "noise" regarding their construction style. I need one with a punchy and powerful output
    Haver you some recommendation for me?
    What do you think which one is the best in this price range and for my music style?

Thanks a lot for your feedback
    headbanger

2. headbanger70

headbanger70

Oct 27, 2018
    72 clicks and no answer....hey what's up????
    are beginner in bass playing not welcome????

3. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Go to store and try a lot on price range. Go for the one that feels best. Or remember the top 3-4 and go research em more.

If play guitar might like shortscale. Ibanez micro, gretsch 2220 or squire jaguar ss are all good $200-$300ish shorties.

4. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Ill try here for ya... Personally, I find the Ibanez Soundgear line to be one of the best for beginners and honestly anybody in the price range. The slim neck makes learning easier on the hands and the tonal options keep you satisfied for quite a bit. They arent obnoxiously heavy, have a good reputation for reliability and the cost is more than fair on them. Additionally, resale is pretty solid whenever you want to move up.

5. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Also try the search function here. This topic has been covered ad nauseum. Search parameters such as "first bass", "newbie", "new to bass", help me choose a bass", etc. might turn up previous threads.

That said, as a reformed guitar player myself, I found short scale basses made for an easy transition.

Three other suggestions:

1)-Always play with a metronome or drum track: bass players who can't keep time are pretty much worthless.

2)-Always keep in mind that, in terms of its function in an ensemble setting, a bass is something other than just a guitar with a slightly longer scale length and fatter strings. When I switched, I had to very consciously refrain from tossing out too many "guitar-like" riffs and fills. When it comes to bass, sometimes "keeping it simple" is surprisingly effective.

3)-Focus your attention on what, specifically, the bass player is doing when you listen to music you particularly like.

"72 clicks and no answer....hey what's up????
    are beginner in bass playing not welcome????"

Chill, it's the weekend: forum traffic tends to be slow since people may be rehearsing, playing gigs or spending time with family.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    MordBass likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    while I hate their looks, the Ibanez Talman line gets tons of praise for the work you're probably doing, even the cheapest model gets high marks, but that's just 1 of tons of equally fine options
    ibanez talman bass - Google Search

Yammybass likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You didn't get a lot of replies because there isn't really an answer. "What's the best bass for metal" is so common a question that it has become the running talkbass joke (see the stickies in the Basses subforum), and you pretty much have a variation on it here. There is no best bass for any genre of music - only the best bass for the player. And to figure that out, you really need to get your hands on some and see how you like them.

When in doubt, and all else being equal, the standard workhorse that works for most all situations is the Precision Bass, from Fender or, at your budget, one of the higher-end Squier versions. Ibanez and Yamaha have good offerings in your price range, I'm fond of the Yamaha BB series myself.