1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass guitar with XLR connection.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lezzar, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Lezzar

Lezzar

Dec 20, 2018
    Just got a bass guitar with jackplug into guitar but an XLR into the mixer.
    Does not work with jack to jack lead.
    Any help with this please.

2. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Your post is confusing. What exactly does your bass have?

Pics will help if English isn't your first language and you're have trouble explaining yourself.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

What he said. Need more info. New? Used? Some basses (e.g. Ken Smith) have XLR as part of the design, but otherwise it is likely someone's customization in which case who the heck knows what's going on under the hood.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Bobro likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

We need a picture to see what you have.

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Welcome to Talk Bass. As mentioned you didn't identify your instrument by name and you didn't provide a pic. Some basses have an XLR for a dual purpose, supplying an external power supply for an active tone circuit and transferring the signal output to an amplifier. Without pics it's impossible to help answer your question.

Scottgun likes this.
  6. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I once had a football bat with a jackplug into. Just connect it all together. :D

rodak, jackn1202 and ghostinthemach like this.
  7. Lezzar

Lezzar

Dec 20, 2018
    Sorry if my inquiry is confusing, my bass is a Classic Cantabule,accoustic /electric. It has a jackplug into the guitar but an X.L.R on the input to the amp or mixer.
    It does not work with a Jack to Jack lead.
    I may be able to buy an adaptor to be able to plug into jack sockets on amps?.
    Any thoughts on this please.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Still doesn't make sense.
    The instrument has what kind of output, exactly. 1/4" or XLR or both?

9. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We need a photo of the jackplug into the guitar.

We need a photo of the X.L.R. on the input to the amp or mixer.

I think you might need a bass amp.

10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I looked up the guitar, but can't find a pic of the input. Seems like it's gotta be 1/4" jack, but if he's trying to plug into a mixer, don't those have 1/4" input options? As best I can tell he's trying to plug straight into a p.a. which is doable with a DI box.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Basses don't have inputs.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Is there any real difference in the two descriptions you have provided?

What's a jackplug? Around here you have either a jack, or you have a plug. The XLR connector on the mixer is usually a microphone level, only, input (assuming you have a cheap mixer), better ones will allow for mic level through line level at the XLR input.

Another thing, are you talking about inputs, or outputs? Or, both? And if the latter, please be clear in your descriptions (which you have not been, so far).

As mentioned numerous times, so far, photos go a long way in showing what you are talking about (I take it English is not a native language to you).

What is a Classic Cantabule? Never heard of it, but is did make me think of this. :laugh:

Cantaloupe.

Hopefully, you can better describe your dilemma and include those 27 8x10 color glossy photographs so we can understand...

RyanOh and mikewalker like this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Is this what you have?

Classic Cantabile.

Now, I get the cantaloupe reference. :cool:

You might get more information on www.TalkOud.com
    But, basic info on connecting electric instruments to an amp or mixer is something the TB brain trust can help with. But, we need photos!

tepperware, mikewalker and rohi like this.
  14. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Seems that the OP is referring to a Cantabile brand classical guitar. I can't find any listed that have on-board electronics, so perhaps the guitar in question was customized. The XLR might be for connecting the guitar to a mixer's XLR mic input.

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why do you assume that when they wrote "bass guitar" in the thread title?

ghostinthemach likes this.
  16. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    OP wants to know how he can connect his 1/4” output from the bass to his XLR input on the mixer. I suspect OP needs a DI box.

17. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It looks like Classic Cantabile is a Eurozone brand. I think OP's instrument is a regular bass guitar, perhaps an acoustic/electric, but otherwise typical. I think OP is trying to connect the instrument to something that is not a bass amp and likewise does not have 1/4" input jacks of any kind. I also think OP's first language is not English, so we (me included) should be kind and helpful. I just couldn't help myself with "jackplug into."

ghostinthemach likes this.
  18. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Sorry. I meant to say the hole you put the doohickey in. :)

Anyway, my money is on that he is trying to plug his acoustic bass into a p.a. mixer in which case he'd need a standard guitar cable, a DI box, and an xlr cable.

19. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    My guess is that the OP is saying:
    • They have a bass with a 1/4" standard jack
    • They are trying to go direct into a mixer which has an XLR input but not a 1/4" input
    • They want to know how to connect the bass to the mixer
    @Lezzar , if my assumptions above are correct, one way to do this is to connect your bass to a DI box using a 1/4" to 1/4" cable and then connect the DI box to the mixer using an XLR to XLR cable like this:

upload_2018-12-20_12-42-57.

Attached Files:

johnson79, Bill Kron, Phil508 and 8 others like this.
  20. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Yep. Sounds like he needs a DI box .

InhumanResource and okcrum like this.