Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass guitarsecrets.com

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by greekbassist, Jan 12, 2006.

1. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what your opinion's are on stuff like this that is offered on the internet?http://www.bassguitarsecrets.com/

I know one has to becareful because the internet is like an infomercial...However, I downloaded a free sample of what lessons would be like and I liked them very much.

This guy Alex Sampson (is a teacher and bassis) who also writes a blog that I checked out while downloading a sample of what his lessons would pertain...

PLEASE read carefully (even though it's long) and tell me what you all think...

If I did go for this program, I figure I have nothing to loose as my money is refunable and it's not like I am spending a fortune....

Thanks, Greekbassist

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I don't really care much for this type of marketing. The "I'll tell you a secret if you give me some money" spin, drives me up the wall.

Most, if not all bass guitar secrets have at some stage been discussed here at TB. There is centuries worth of experience and knowledge here, and it's all free.

Sorry for the negative feedback on the website.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'd be worried about anything that says that "it doesnt matter if you've been playing for one day or 15 years"...

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    "There is no substitute for hard work."

Programs like this fly in the face of that wise adage.
    Don't waste your money.

5. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks guys!

I just thought that maybe this guy had discovered something and created a new innovated way for learning bass i.e. learning the fretboard, why scales are chords are really used for (he makes it sound like you don't have to learn it) and so on...

Though from what I did download for free it did seem pretty cool...

One of the downloads teach you how to groove properly with a real drummer...

However, I appreciate all of your advises!!! Thanks again!

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'd be willing to bet that you will discover all the most useful and reliable "bass secrets" right here at TalkBass.

7. "Because of how much faith I have that you'll quickly find the course is the deal of the century my guarantee is so absolute that you also have my blessings to KEEP THE ENTIRE COURSE, ALL THE BONUSES, all the custom-designed software, the WHOLE enchilada as a FREE gift, even if you do request a refund."

What's this guy playing at exactly?

8. It's by the same guy who does that perfect pitch program!

No, not really, but it certainly sounds like it. Really things like this are really exaggerated. As the previous posts say, nothing replaces hard work!

9. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Well, I am finding out that the internet is becoming an INFOMERCIAL :meh:

In my heart I agree with you all, but I just thought I would just post the website to see what other bassist thought about this bass secret stuff...

I appreciate the advise....And yes there is no subsitution for hard work...

10. Check out Carol Kaye's method. She has taught and played bass for over 40 yrs. She gets you thinking Chordally. I am working through her DVD course and Rock Funk Bass Tutor. Easy to understand. Check out her website and forum
    www.carolkaye.com.

11. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    Anytime you see or hear the word "secret" in association with learning music, grab your wallet and run as fast as you can the other way.

THERE ARE NO SECRETS.

There were some nice note choices on a couple of the audio samples, but honestly, the time and feel were really hokey and stiff in places. And some of it was a bit overplayed. As someone who has done a lot of sessions, I feel these lines would not pass muster in the context of recording a song. If you had vocals on top of that, there would be too much going on.

12. ZachAttack

ZachAttack

Jul 9, 2006
    Denver
    I actually bought this book back when i was first starting bass. And still today its probably one of the better starter books i have found. yeah its a E-book, so thats a downfall, but there is great info there. I meen, its no "The Jazz Theory Book" But its like a Bass for dummies kinda book. Its a good starter kinda thing, and teaches you to groove, and basicly unlocked the fretboard in a way i have yet to find better. He also shows alot of good drum to bass samples, and how to lock tight with the drummer. plus its like 3 books and CDs and a half a$$ed drum machine, but it works.

edit: i should mention its filled with him talking about random nonsense crap most of the books.

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    So whats he gonna tell ya, "sing the bass line in your head while you listen to the song, remember it, and look for the notes on the fretboard. Once youve found the notes, play them in rhythm, and there you go, you're a killer bass player" .... puh lease...

14. mkettner

mkettner

Jun 13, 2006
    Canada
    I actually bought his material and have all of it. It is pretty decent stuff. I also agree that if you wanted to learn all that he taught this forum is a great place to do it. I found it easy because he puts it all in one spot, well put together, and I could just play rather then spend hours asking questions and maybe getting good answers. If you are not willing to spend money and have extra time, then don't buy it. Myself and others highly recommend it.

15. alex027

alex027

Jun 14, 2006
    I also just recently bought the books. I can contest that they are really good for any begginer. I had no knowledge of the bass and about 5 months into playing, with the help of this system, i have a pretty good grasp on theory, as well as technique and what my role as a bassist is. I actually bought the books rather that the e-book. It was a little more expensive, but i found it an invaluable tool in learning and understanding the bass.

16. Toneonbass

Toneonbass

Jul 1, 2006
    I also highly recommend bgs!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll stick with the years of knowledge here on talkbass personally.

18. +1

I got pointed in the right direction for my sound, and many other things here(including better technique), and I wasn't a total beginner when I first started reading, but now I feel like I was back then..

How much better if I would have found Talkbass even more into the early phases of my playing.

The search button is your friend, your best friend..:)

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

ZachAttack - Jul 2006 Posts: 20
    mkettner - Jun 2006 Posts: 164
    alex027 - Jun 2006 Posts: 6
    rootjwb - Jul 2006 Posts: 17

I don't want to be unfair to any of the posters supporting this guys site but do you see any pattern among the 4 posters who had good things to say?
    None of them have been registered before June, while to the contrary everyone that didn't get a good vibe from the site has been here longer with half a dozen of us being supporting members.

"How To Play Professional, Full
    Sounding Bass Lines For Any Song
    You Hear -- Right Off The Top of
    Your Head -- Every Time!"

Right. You hear Teentown, then just play it; right off the top of your head.