Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John-Paul666, Jul 29, 2005.

1. This may sound like im thick, But what do you do with the bass heads, do you link em through a PA or something else.
  2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    We all have to learn from someone... ;)

The bass "head" is the amplifier. You plug your electric bass guitar into the amplifier (head) and the head is then plugged into a speaker cabinet (cab). You'll hear the expression rig used to often refer to the head and cabinet together. A "combo" amp is a self contained unit that has an amplifier and speaker in one convenient box!

Hope that clears this up for you.

3. Umm.... You link the bass head to your bass cabs via speaker cables for your onstage sound (monitoring) and do a line out (xlr) from a DI box or the back of your amp into the PA also which gives your front of house sound (coming out the main PA) or you could mic your cabs for front of house if you prefer?

Sorry if that answer is very obvious to you already, but i'm not sure how much you know or don't know? I hope I understood your question correctly?
  4. If I put an Ashdown MAG 300 Bass Head and an Ashdown MAG 115-200 Cabinet would that work because the Head is 300 watts and the cab is 150 or would i have to buy a 300watt capacity cab, or would it compine the two
  5. that would work fine. just make sure you use speaker cable to connect the two and not an instrument cable.
  6. Would it combine the two and make 450w or would it only do 150w?
  7. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I once saw a band where the bass player used a PA as a head, running into an ampeg 8x10. :eyebrow:
  8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    You might want to check out the sticky (faqs) at the top of this forum b/c you're going to wind up with many more amp and speaker questions.

The 150W on the speaker cabinet is not the same as the 300W on the amp. This is a rough explanation, but should help: The 150W is the maximum amount that the speakers can handle being sent to it (this rating is also probably what it can handle for a sustained amount of time, as opposed to a rating for a spike of sound). The 300W of the amp is the amount of volume or power (for lack of a better term) that the amp can put out (essentially if everything's set to 10 this is what it's putting out).

The speaker will only be able to handle 150W for a sustained amount of time.