Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass in a pickup truck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tplyons, Apr 14, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got a 1987 Chevy El Camino and an upright bass. How should I transport? Laying it on it's back isn't a good idea right? Should I leave it on it's side against one of the sides in a bag and tie it down? How should I transport this bass?

It will only be going about 5 miles in this vehicle in any situation. I will be using a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder for any greater distances.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I shudder at the entire picture.

Put it in body toward the cab on its back and in such a way that it's not going to move from side to side. You're more likely to stop really quickly than have to accelerate and you don't want all of that abuse on the neck. See if you can get some huge piece of foam or something as the bed of a truck (El Camino? That's a Caprice / Bel Air with the back chopped out!) can be pretty bouncy. If you have the space and wherewithal, perhaps you could fashion a trunk to put in the bed. Keep an eye on the thing at speed, you may get an unexpected lesson in vacuum and things with high-surface area and low density...

Use the PathFinder.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    see if you can get a good case for it. Preferably hardcase. Otherwise get some kind of flexible foam, and wrap it around the thing. Pack well.

Or get a topper, and pack it the same way.

4. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I have a '89 ford ranger that i drive to practice. I have a padded case on my bass and just put it in the bed with a folded shipping quilt under the back at the heel of the neck and stretch a bungee across the bed - wheel well to wheel well. I haven't lost it yet. I do keep my eye on it so i can watch it hit the road it if happens to come flying out. the bungee gives me some comfort.

Remyd likes this.
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unfortunately using the Pathfinder for lessons isn't an option. The Elkie is mine, the Pathfinder is my mom's and she works. I was planning on getting a very supportive soft case and bungeeing it down while supporting the neck. It's all pretty solid roads with a speed limit of 30 so there won't be too much bouncing. It's a soft ride. And no, the topper isn't an option either. Can't afford one. Neither is a hardcase.

Should I be safe like this? It's an Engelhardt and so far pretty solid.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Make sure that when you support the neck that you're not supporting the weight of the bass on the neck. Just make sure then neck isn't going to whack on the bed when the bass rocks back and forth.

Keeping it around 30 on a smooth road shouldn't present you too much problem.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just what I wanted to hear. :)

8. mthatcher61

mthatcher61

Aug 31, 2016
    RIngwood NJ
    How about getting a dB into a standard cab F150 truck? I'm new to the double bass and just bought one last night. There is a small space beside the Driver and passenger seat in the cab but not another seat so putting it behind the seats is not an option. There is a window that can be opened in the center of the rear view window. I put the passenger seat as far back as I could ( they dont lay all the way back like a car) then I put the bass in on its treble side (the bridge and strings towards me the driver) with the scroll sticking out that window. The bass seemed to do ok. I have to explore better options.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to haul mine in a Chevy Silverado all the time with no issues. Laid it on its back in a nice padded gig bag. DIdn't drive like an idiot.

10. Not gonna happen. When I have to travel with mine it gets tied down in the passenger side of the bed, E-string side up so the soundpost doesn't fall, endpin facing forward in case you have to stop in a hurry.

The endpin collar is one tiedown point and the neck just below the nut is the other. Do not lay your bass on its' back or sooner or later the pressure on the scroll will unseat the neck.

11. mthatcher61

mthatcher61

Aug 31, 2016
    RIngwood NJ
    Both of you guys ride with the DB in the bed? OK, I have a low end padded gig bag. Is it more dangerous to ride with it in the cab with the scroll sticking out the back window?

12. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    As long as the neck isn't resting on the window sides this should be just fine.

They are reacting to the original el camino question, that was answered in 2004 :)

13. mthatcher61

mthatcher61

Aug 31, 2016
    RIngwood NJ
    Ahhhh. Thanks guys.

14. I frequently carry my bass in the back of a Chevy half ton pickup. I have two rope cleats (like found on a boat) installed on the side, near the rear of the bed.

- I prop the front of the bass up on a piece rolled up carpet (that I lay my bass on for outdoor gigs) to prop up the neck so it's above the floor of the pickup.

- I position the bass so that the end pen rests against the closed tailgate.

- I tie the rope to one of the cleats, then run it through the loop in my gig bag located above the bridge.

- I pull the rope snug, but not overly tight, then tie it to the cleat on the opposite side.

Bass rides really well using this technique. I really don't even think about it back there.

Remyd likes this.