Bass Japan Direct Reviewer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 16, 2020.

1. The Japanese sure love their pickguards. This one would look better without the shrunken down guard considering that there is no control plate. I’ve noticed the same thing with Bacchus and their clear guards.

2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I enjoy his reviews. All basses end up sounding like the player in my experience, especially anything with multiple pickups, pan controls, and EQ systems. It makes sense that a player like him should demonstrate his instrument in the manner he likes to play.

vin*tone likes this.
  3. Danny's amazing. Great dude, great player.... and hey... he showcases the instruments in his own way.

songwriter21 and project_c like this.
  4. And FWIW, Atelier Z's are my-t-fine axes, another home-market Japanese bass we unfortunately see too few of on this side of the pond.

5. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I’ve bought a bass from him and would happily do so again, his prices are pretty good and he sells unique stuff that’s not easy to get hold of. My Atelier Z is a gem, and it would have been impossible for me to find one without his help. The videos aren’t really reviews, he’s just demoing the stuff he has for sale.

I do think the criticisms are valid up to a point, most of us just need to hear a simple groove recorded direct, tone on/off, couple of pickup variations, maybe a bit of pick / slap, and that’s it, but at the same time the dude is a musician, and he clearly enjoys playing the basses he sells, plus they inspire him enough to create music on the spot, which I actually think is quite a good way to show that the basses are set up well and will be fun to play. I say let him do his thing, at least his demos are different to everyone else’s.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. I also bought a bass from Danny a few years ago. I used the Bass Hunter service and he found me a white Tokai Hard Puncher with a maple fretboard. He actually swapped the necks on two basses to get what I wanted. Great bass and pretty good pricing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    not really a review was it?
    More like a demonstration of laying down looped track.
    Seems like a pleasant fellow and an exceptional payer for sure, but the video doesn’t make make want to buy an Atelier Z. I don’t know very much more about the bass than I did before the video
    Soloing was a bit wanky...(understatement alert)

p.s. the video does make me want to check out his shop though!
    I would love to check out a Bacchus headless!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes he does have a lot of goodies! I will say his love of shines all the way through the video.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He sold you a bass, so mission accomplished.;)

10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Has anybody met a bass greater than, say, $200 value that with the right strings and a good setup that couldn't play a simple groove and function perfectly fine in a band?

A large part of the reason why we watch bass reviews is to just look at cool basses and see what's out there. I don't think they need to provide particularly musically relevant content. I legit find a lot of reviews that try to be too musically applicable lack character and they don't have me going back to that channel often. I like reviewers that have a little bit of character to them, even if they tend to make the instruments sound like them.

Passinwind and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    He did, although it’s worth pointing out that it wasn’t a bass he demo’d, it was a rare one I knew he’d be able to track down for me.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Well, most basses these days function without too many issues, but for me hearing the dry DI tone of the bass is the single most important thing if it's a bass I'm thinking of buying, so I do definitely like to hear that simple groove. Not because I specifically want to listen to a bland groove, but more because it's a simple no nonsense way to show how the bass sounds. Only needs to take about 15 seconds really, depending on the bass - tone on/off, neck / bridge / both, maybe preamp on/off, mid / bass / treble boost & cut, and done, then do the fun stuff after that. But I agree with what you say about character, it does make things much more interesting.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is great. We hear the bass tones without all of the noodling.

14. Lella Gislen

Lella Gislen

Sep 4, 2017
    Sweden
    I'm considering using the bass hunter service. So you have a good experience with them? I would like to get one of those short scale jazz basses the db62ss.

miles'tone likes this.
  15. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Do you mean @IvanBassist ?

IvanBassist likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yep. This guy. Straight playing, repeatable riffs, different settings and styles. He does what I would do if I was in a store trying out an instrument.

IvanBassist and murphy like this.
  17. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Thanks for the kind words, guys :bassist:

18. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Yes Danny is a stand up guy, lots of great communication throughout and a cool personalised video when he had sourced and bought my bass. Totally recommend dealing with him. Plus, his pricing is very sensible too. Good luck!

Lella Gislen and murphy like this.
  19. Lella Gislen

Lella Gislen

Sep 4, 2017
    Sweden
    Awesome! I've started a hunt now. Danny said that the bass i rare so it might not be possible to get, or it might take time. Hopefully he'll find one for me.

miles'tone likes this.
  20. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    I couldn’t agree more with that assessment. I have bought an Ibanez RB-824 from his shop and had a great buyer’s experience. One of my other basses is one of his bass hunter service basses but I bought it off the guy who bought it from Danny.

As for his reviews, I very much value his reviews as it is the note attack that I am paying closest attention to in a review. His style more or less lends well to that characteristic, and it’s not for everyone. His reviews are very effective to me in that he will push the bass to its extremes and, especially for the rare basses, capture all the control settings. That said, I will watch a LowEndLobster review in addition for something more streamlined.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Lella Gislen likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021