Bass Japan Direct Reviewer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This guy is a seriously great player and creative, but the actual functions of the bass get a bit lost in this review. I think he needs to record some CD’s and then get back to reviewing.

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Just had some delicious roasted chicken with potatoes, Doc6. Yeah lots of fat late in the night, I know.. And that funky review is funny indeed. :smug: ps. (That bass is awesome!)

sing-modulator and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. taconeko

taconeko

Mar 13, 2020
    Tokyo, Japan
    :laugh:

He has serious chops but agree that some of the reviews feel like we are watching him noodle some ideas he has rather than showcasing the characteristics of the instrument :)

Much respect to him for his playing and for making domestic gear accessible outside of the country

andruca and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. taconeko

taconeko

Mar 13, 2020
    Tokyo, Japan
    @Dr. Cheese I think you may enjoy qsic reviews as they are just the bass being played

teh-slb, Vinny_G and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, I watch their reviews and I do enjoy them.

taconeko likes this.
  6. My local music shop are stocking MIJ Fenders, and I've got eye on MIJ Japan Hybrid Jazz Bass V.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 10.17.32 PM.png

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    murphy, wmmj, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  7. izpak

izpak

Feb 17, 2016
    Essex, UK
    Having bought a couple of basses through BJD, I can say that Danny is a great guy to deal with.
    He also has a service where he will actively help you find a specific bass that you may not be able to find yourself, for a little extra charge.

8. taconeko

taconeko

Mar 13, 2020
    Tokyo, Japan
    I apologize if my original post was rude. I am certain he is a great guy. It is clear that he is a fine musician as well.

EatS1stBassist and izpak like this.
  9. izpak

izpak

Feb 17, 2016
    Essex, UK
    Don't worry, It didn't come across as rude. I also find that sometimes it seems like he gets a little distracted from speaking about the instrument by what he's playing.

taconeko likes this.
  10. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    His reviews may not be as informative as those of the great @Dr. Cheese , but he does provide access to the very cool world of Japanese basses which many might otherwise miss.

BassNugget likes this.
  11. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I've bought a bass through Danny, using his Bass Hunter service. Great guy! Very honest and easy to deal with. I'll be bass shopping via him again soon.
    One of us!

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I do not compare myself to him. I know my videos are far below his in quality.

13. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    But would he do a better review than you with a phone in his lap? Alternatively, would you do a worse review than him if you wore that nerdy microphone around your head?

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You and I are not talking about the same things. His recording set up is much better than mine. I feel he is so busy creating a song that demonstrating the ability of bass is somewhat lost in the video I shared.

teh-slb likes this.
  15. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    :) I viewed some of his stuff cos I was interested in the basses and his service(that is highly recommended by people I trust).
    I couldnt lust more than a minute on a video,sorry its a nightmere.

16. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    I misunderstood, then. I wanted to say that I like your reviews because they show off what the instrument is capable off without endless noodling. If you had his set up, your videos would sure be "better", but I'd still prefer your style of reviews.

Ugh, why is it so hard complimenting someone on their youtube material :laugh:

B-Mac and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thank you Sir!:)

B-Mac and teh-slb like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I think IvanBassist puts a really great review product on the youtoobs. He'll play basically a consistent, simple riff for 8-10 minutes in different fingering, pick, thumb, styles with the pickup positions and tone positions and style listed on the screen. Simple. You can hear everything clearly. He's not showing off his chops or talking about how cool the bass looks. But gives a pretty clear tone capability of a bass.
    Honestly, if I'm at a music store trying out a bass that is how I'd play it.

ShawnG, murphy and 4stringsjack like this.
  19. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    He has a lot of trouble staying on point. I want to hear the instrument, not him or his abilities with a looper.

db59 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. That humbucker looks absolutely MASSIVE! :eek:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021