Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass lines by Sir Paul.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by demolition, Oct 26, 2003.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Last week i found a bass tape i've been looking for ,its called BASS LINES OF PAUL M. AND JOHN L.they break down 8 songs by the Beatles and show how they're done.
    Wow ! I could'nt believe how complex some of the lines were,I knew he was a great bass player but i was totally blown away by the melodic compisition of these lines,The Mans A Genius !
    His true bass playing I believe gets lost in the shadow of his other talents,(singing,performing,arranging ETC).and the credit of his actual bass playing only gets acknowleged by a few of us,as opposed to some other bass players who get much more attention focused on their playing because thats all they are known for.
    I'm not saying anything negitive about other bassists ,its just easier to get noticed for your bass lines when thats all you do,as opposed to the players who do many other things and play bass(get it?)
    Do yourself a favor and check it out,you wont regret it.

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've noticed that McCartney is as much of a musical genius as Lennon was lyrically.

I'm taking a History of Rock and Roll class right now, and up until then I never really listned, or really even heard, the Beatles or their music (Hey, i'm only 20, their last album was released a good 14 years before I as born. :))

After listening and anylizing them for a month I was so impressed with everything about them. It really makes today's, and pretty much every other modern band look just bland and boring.

But back to McCartney, as much of a genius everyone thinks of Lennon, the band would've been nothing witout McCartney's leadership, musical talents, and ideas (as well as Harrison and Starr.) He really was an amazing musician.

The band as a whole still is so much better than everything out there today. (at least of the rock type genre)

Few bands today have so much meaning behind their music, or so much going on in their music as they did.

I think System of a Down is one of the few bands who have some of the qualities the Beatles had in their day. They have quite a few different styles in their music, (not nearly as many different types of genre's the Bealtes played though) They have a lot of that Lennon-esque, Joyce/Carrol writing in their lyrics, and they have a real message behind their lyrics.

I'll have to check this out.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Really concentrate on Revolver(the UK version/cd issue)...that was a definite turning point for the band.

BTW, that you're "only 20" is hardly an excuse.
    Bach, Beethoven, Bird were all years ahead of most of us...
    ;)

4. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Good to meet someone younger who DOESN'T hate the Beatles. I realize kids today missed out on Beatlemania but to dismiss them with a "yuck" as though they were some expendable mish-mash of 60s bubblegum musicians is nothing short of bizarre. The Beatles completely changed rock and pop music--completely changed it.

It is not even possible to gauge what modern music would sound like had their been no Beatles. What jazz would be like without Louis Armstrong or what would classical music would be like with no Bach? The Beatles were every bit that important to their genre.

5. Paul McCartney is one of my main bass playing influences. He's just the most amazing bass player I can think of for creating bass lines in a pop context. everyone should really listen closely to the bass playing on "Something" (Abbey Road), to know what I mean. It's so melodically intersting, and he builds it so briliantly. A lot of Beatles songs, like "Something", "Come Together", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", and "With a Little help from My Friends", would lose a lot with a different bass line.

6. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Excellent bass lines on "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Dear Prudence", "Lovely Rita", "Penny Lane", "Your Mother Should Know", "Drive My Car", "I'm Only Sleeping"--the man has talent.

7. Yeah, at some point, I'd like to transcribe every bass line from Abbey Road. In my opinion, that's the best Beatles album in terms of bass.

8. Silly Love Songs has got to be one of the most fun to play bass parts around!

Paul did well when he created this song!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i've been playing "silly love songs" for 2 months straight in my car. i've had lots of eyes rolled at me lately. i tell em, ya gotta REALLY listen to the FEEL in the bass part.... they just don't get it. let's face it. we're all a bunch of bass geeks.

bongo. bongo. bongo. bongo. bongo. bongo.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The quitessential bass line from Sir Paul in my mind is the one for "All My Loving". Incredibly fun to play. "Eight Days A Week" is pretty strong, too.

11. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Of the early stuff, my favorite bass line is "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You".

12. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I once played bass in a reggae band and we did a few Wings songs in reggae format because they lend themselves so well to that mode of interpretation. "Silly Love Songs" was one. "Bluebird" off Band On the Run was another. "No Matter What the Man Says" was my personal favorite. "Monkberry Moon Delight" was another. "Get Onto the Right Thing" from Red Rose Speedway was another. They sound great as reggae and especially being sung with a Jamaican accent.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's soo cool. Paul, and especially Linda, really liked reggae. I'll bet they would have loved to hear those interpretations.
    I can't get past the immeasurably poor lyrics and awful repetitve verse melody on that song.

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Macca's basslines have been discussed before, but I'll throw in (again) 'Old Brown Shoe' and from the Wings years, 'Goodnight Tonight' - which has a great Bernard Edwards-style bassline.

15. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    What about the Single Rain its great basslines on that one!!!

16. Whaaa? I seem to fit your definition of "younger," but I don't think I even KNOW anybody who hates the Beatles! Granted, at 21 I guess I'm a smidge older than the demographic that much current crappy pop is aimed at, but I'd be surprised if the difference between high school and college is enough to produce the "yuck" response you mentioned. Maybe you're just talking to the wrong kids? :D Or maybe I've just been lucky to meet the ones with taste. In any case, while the Beatles might not be my personal favorite band (though they're up there!), it's pretty obvious to me at least that they are the greatest band popular music has ever known. Then again, maybe it's that kind of praise that's causing backlash among the unconverted...

17. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    True, but I was in orchestra for 8 years, so I had plenty of education and influence of their, and all classical music. I wasn't offered Bealtes Class in school ;) Until i took this class. :D

18. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I play bass because of Paul! Heck, I play music in general because of the Beatles, I listened to them from the time I was 12-14 pretty much without listening to anything else.

Now I'm 18.

19. Yup, this one is lots o' fun to play AND sing. That's one of the few songs that I can do the vocals and the bass really easily. Plus, it always fills the dancefloor!

20. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    its nice to see people all all ages into and respectful of his work,i am only 31 myself so I missed out on ALL of my favorites(zep,sabbath,who,ETC)and have to live off of CD's and other forms of audio.
    The song I enjoy the most is "HEY BULLDOG"its as complex yet melodic at the same time.
    Though there are many bass players out here now that I am sure are great,but the music they play turns me away before i can see what they are about,I am not saying they play lousy music,Its just not my kind of sound.
    PEACE:bassist: