Bass Magic

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sunshower, May 26, 2004.

1. Sunshower

May 26, 2004
    Someone here who has tried Bass Magic and knows if it's a good program for a beginner on the bass?
    I've been thinking about taking lessons, but I'm too shy :bag:
    I've been told I have small hands and it will make playing bass a lot more difficult. I'd feel embarrassed if the teacher would say the same :( It feels like I have to prove something since I have small hands, and then I'd rather practise on my own in the beginning.
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Actually this is a good reason to take lessons. This is coming from someone who has incredibly tiny hands as well. A teacher will help you with your technique and your positioning to cope with your small hands and adjust it to your comfort level. I don't find having small hands a hindrance. It may seem it at first, since you are a beginner, but you get used to it. Now, there are basses out there with too wide a neck for small hands, but that's a different story.

Good luck and welcome to Talkbass. :)

- Stephanie

PS: Sorry, I never even heard of Bass Magic.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'd take lessons. You can learn the same amount in 2 years of lessons as you can in 5 years of doing it on your own. Whoever told you that small hands has anything to do with playing bass should take a few lessons too.
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    NEVER let anything stand in your way of something you want to do. Don't be shy about taking lessons. A teacher can/should help you with you goal of bass playing.

Bass magic looks like some cool software, and you will learn from it. For the amount of money you would spend on this software, I think you would be better off with a face to face teacher. Software won't answer your questions like a teacher can. There are books available that will push you in the right direction, for a fraction of the cost.

This is a great book. It covers just about everything.
  5. Sunshower

May 26, 2004
    Hm... yeah I can see why I should rather take lessons, I'm just tired of being told it will be too hard for me :meh:.

I think I will try that book :D then after this summer I can begin to take lessons. I want at least to know a bit about my bass and how it works before having my first lesson :) '

Thank you guys for the good advices :)
  6. No good teacher will tell you it's too hard for you. They may warn you that it will be more difficult for you than for someone with monster hands, but they won't make an issue of it.