Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Max - Distortion????

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Jan 3, 2004.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I bought a bass max about a year ago and have been very pleased with it. But about a week ago i noticed some distorting when I play an "A". This is any "A" on the bass: open string, thumb position, on the g string. Since this does not happen when i play electric though the same amp/head/cable combination i am guessing its the pickup. Anyone else had trouble with this? Could a piezo crystal be cracked? Thanks in advance!

--Nerd

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    A can tend to be a resonant frequency; the first thing I'd do would be to check thoroughly for a mechanical sound at or near the pickup. I'd grasp the pickup with thumb and forefinger when playing A to see if the sound stops. I'd also move the pickup, gently, to see if you can get it to make a noise, to diagnose a loose connection. I'd also check to make sure the wire isn't vibrating against itself, and the string-mounted jack isn't making a noise. Again, grasping and damping various parts when playing the A can help diagnose the cause.

Distortion can often be caused by overloading a preamplifier with a signal that is hotter than the preamp can handle. Just to check, if you are using an external preamp, turn the gain down and see if it still distorts. And if not, try an alternate input in your amp, and if your amp has a preamp and main power amp knob, turn down the preamp and turn up the main power knob to compensate.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Thank you very much. I will definately try that. I am not using an external preamp though, might that solve this problem? make it worse?

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't think one could necessarily resolve this particular situation, especially since we don't know what is causing the problem.

5. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I found what the problem is exactly. The connection between cable and the metal part of the pickup must have some sort of bad connection. When i move the cable lightly it makes the same noise as when I play "A". Except now it just does it on most notes. Since I bought it from K&K themselves i am going to email them. I am really wishing now i ordered it from you, Bob, because I could just ask you if i could send it back. Anyway thanks for the help and hopefully my diagnosis is correct. Thank you!

--Nerd

6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i had a problem with my bass max distorting and called k&k. they instructed me to send it in. i did so and later that week received a new one in the mail. they're very helpful.

sean p

7. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I contacted them on sunday and they gave me an email back monday doing exactly what you said, send it in. Their customer service is so great it kinda makes me like their pickup even more. Thanks for all the help!

-nerd