Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Max, First Pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Johnny L, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Just received my first doublebass pickup, the bass max. I tried it on the E-string side wing, then on the other side. I like the other side best, cause I get more natural treble and can simply dial more bass from my little PA as I see fit.

My first impression is it sounds much more natural with the bow, and more like my Fender when I pizz. Little compression gets in the way, which I like cause I want to be able to express dynamics. Makes sense with it being just piezos. I'll live with it comfortably for the price.

Overall, I'm impressed with it, especially cause it's so easy to stick it inside my bridge wing quickly. Thanks again Chris Fitzgerald for sharing soundclips of your playing and offering the general public opportunities to evaluate products you've purchased along with your great playing.

An informed Santa is a jovial Santa. Ho, ho.

2. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Johnny, are you using a preamp with that pickup?

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Nope, I go straight into my mixer board. It's a Carvin, just in case it is matters to you. I have a little tube preamp that I used to use when I played electric bass, but I haven't been motivated to experiment with it yet. I'm happy with the sound I get bare-bones.

If I did use a preamp, I'd inevitably hot-rod it with my Lexicon and all the other effects I've got. The music I practice for and want to make doesn't demand any more amplification and effects than the bow itself, so they sit idle for now.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You're very welcome, and thanks for the kind review. Like I said on the site, if I can spare even one person the drag of trying 15 different systems before finding something they can live with, the cost of the site is more than worth it.

I don't think the Bass Max is perfect (I may occasionally check out the latest new thing from time to time like a good gear whore :D ), but it's a good value, and for some things I haven't found anything to beat it. All Hail!