Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass max problem!!!! urgent help!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Jan 26, 2004.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    hi to all!

i have a problem...

i received my bass max last week and it worked all well, but yesterday it went down!

it receives a signal but it isn't as strong as before... it's like the bass was cut off. I must run my preamp (pure preamp) and the amp at 10 to hear anything!

i already cheked the preamp's battery and everything's ok.

can someone help?! i have a gig tomorrow and no pickup :(

cheers!

mad

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Try plugging the pickup directly into the amp. My Bass Max is often louder without the preamp than with it - I just like the tone better with the pre. By plugging directly into your amp, you should be able to tell whether the problem is in the pickup or in the pre. What kind of amp are you using? Have you checked it?

Try, in order:

* Testing your amp by plugging another signal source (like a slab) into it. If you're getting the same results as with the Bass Max, try switching cables. If all is well at this point....

* Plug the Bass Max directly into the amp with a cable you know is good. If the signal is the same as before, you'll know it's the pickup. If not...

* Hook the whole signal chain back together and check the internal pots inside the pre. Try several batteries, and make sure the connection harness is tight.

Good luck.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Has the pickup moved? The installation pressure can make a HUGE difference in the sound output. If it's too tight, or too loose, the volume and tone can suffer.

4. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    i'm using the same as before... i'm using a JBL Eon, and it worked lovely last week. there's nothing wrong with the speaker and cable (both are new and working fone with my BG).

I'm considering it's the pickup... i've tried that thing with the pressure but it stopped working. I didn't remove the pickup from my DB and it went down...

if it's because of the pickup... any solution? or it's better to send it back to KK?

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Send it back. Mine did the same thing.

Hope you had better luck than I did sending it back. Yours is new so they should replace it.

6. I had a Bass Max go intermittent, then dead. It was less than a year old, they replaced it promptly, no questions asked. Overseas could take a bit longer...

Be very careful with these things not to tug on the wire with the pickup firmly wedged in place. I think what generally happens is the wire gets broken at the piezos, either through vibration or an accidental yank. The between-the-strings mounting of the output jack is not the most secure arrangement.