1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass metamorphosis.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vikerlane, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    My Fenderbird wants to be a Jazz megaBass :)

fenderbird.JPG

jazz megabass.

So, i started this project and would like to show you progress and ask some advice. Alder block is drying and after one, or two weeks i can start to route it. Control plate is made of copper sheet.

Can i move neck pickup one inch closer to the neck? How it affects the sound?

Thanks.

2. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    Check this out. Might be something you might be interested in.

image(1).

Three pick ups, EMG dual mode.

Bridge pickup in Jazz/Musicman position (Single coil side closer to the bridge)

Middle position spans typical Jazz and Precision position. (single coil side closest to neck)

Neck position "mudbucker" (single coil side closest to neck) I hope to emulate a Rick with the neck single coil and humbucker with one of the other pickups.

Just got it put together and the paint still needs to cure. I did put the neck on and played around with it a little.

So far my favorite is full up neck and bridge in single coil and mid way with middle humbucker.

I'm using the EMG BQS tone control which has adjustable midrange.

3. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Awesome looking body and nice job
    Blue Beast Bass (BBB) :)

4. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007

Thanks.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread; just to give the OP something to think about.

In my opinion if You move the pick up towards the neck you would get more of a fundamental tone. A single coil will be a "cleaner" sound as in a Jazz bass. A humbucker would be fuller, darker and/or muddier"

Feel free to agree with me or flamed me other members.

The EMG TW pickups are unique in that you can have the different sounds when you want. It's also fun to toy with the different settings.

If you try it and don't like it then you will do something different in your next build. It gets addictive.

5. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Added pics.

6. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    I`m thinking to change neck humbucker pickup to some kind of jazz pickup. is it good idea?

7. Everything depends on you mate, its yer bass !

I think that you shouldnt be worried about putting a pickup in different place, than factory does. If every bass would sound the same, the world would be boring as hell.
    It would still sound like bass does, so dont be worry, you can do it :p

The only thing I dont like in this project are those knobs. Maybe its only me, but I find them so ugly, I'd put there even chickenhead ones, but not those.

8. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Yes, these knobs dont fit and i will put original fender style knobs to it.

PN-9D-6.4_1.

or these?

[​IMG]

What jazz picup is good for my project? Noiseless?

9. I'd go with the original JB knobs and stay with the pickups you already own. But if you want a JB ones just pick up those, which sounding you like best

10. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Thank you for your replay. I would like to have this cool jazz sound also and i guess i will put old bridge humbucker and new neck jazz pickup to it.
    This combination seems interesting and gives me hopefully wide tonal range.
    Updated control plate design, added output mute kill switch too.
    Here is a example of Estonian jazz with nice bassline. Specially for you :)
    http://etv.err.ee/index.php?05629907&video=7152#.UUwNIzf3S_B

control plate new.

11. Wow, you are from Estonia. Been there in 2008, and I think its a really nice place !

Nice music btw. unlucky its not well known worldwide, just like music from Poland (but the REAL music, not nowadays that keeps me mad everytime I hear it ...)

Going back to the bass - this might be an interesting combination. Reminds me of the Cort GB with the same pickup configuration. Way to go then !

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm doing the same thing with a cheapie SCPB right now!! Small world!!

13. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Santa brought me a new Dremel kit last year,which led to a Tele P copy wearing a pair of Thunderbuckers. The bridge pup covering both 60's/70's pup positions,and the neck pup juuust ahead of the 'sweet spot'..The result was amazing. The neck pup thundered like Thor,and the bridge pup was like a Jazz with 'roid-rage. Unfortunately I had to sell it to help with vehicle repair,but I look forward to doing it again soon..Enjoy your build!

14. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Thank you all for your support.

15. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  16. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    three pickups is overkill and too complicated. my philosophy is keeping things simple :)
    but thanks for advice.

17. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Did you read the post?

18. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    yes i read and tryed to understand :)
    in my case i have to change pot`s to switch pots and find a four wired pickup.
    this is too much fuss.

19. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Oh, OK.

20. Vikerlane

Vikerlane

Jul 23, 2012
    Anyway, all is possible. You gave me a good idea.