Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Modifications

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Assasin, Nov 25, 2005.

1. The Assasin

The Assasin

Nov 24, 2005
    Can someone please help me.
    I am about to buy a second hand bass guitar and modify the body drastically. I have seen the new electric double basses at Allens music store in Melbourne Australia. No bodies. just a Stick and it looks Awesome. My idea is to get a Bass and cut the body leaving just the frets all the way down to the end of the bass. or cutting the body and designing a F Cleff Shape. my question is.. Would this modification which is only to the body change the sound of the bass. Please let me know as i am really busting to know as i want to get this second hand. Cheap bass and modify the body only.

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes, it will definitely change the sound of the bass. Why do you want to do this? It's an interesting idea, but I get the impression that your goals with this and the reality of what will happen are not in alignment.

3. The Assasin

The Assasin

Nov 24, 2005
    The Goal of this is to have a different shape bass guitar and still be able to get the same sound. Modification to be different as most bass guitars have the same shape and the majority of music stores only stock normal shaped basses. I own an acoustic bass which is my pride and joy but am worried about damaging it if i take it from gig to gig so i need something light and different at the same time. how would i go about modifying this bass without affecting that rich bass sound.??

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can't. Changing the body shape changes the entire sound and character of a bass. You'll make a decent bass into a pile of crap, quite honestly.

5. do you know Steve Wishnevsky?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DON'T DO IT!!!!

6. The Assasin

The Assasin

Nov 24, 2005
    my question .. does it work... can you play it and is the sound different from before the modification?? thats all i want to know..!! i will only cut away the wood body not moving pickups etc . maybe just the knobs which i must replace them to another location.
    Thank you... this is great..

7. The Assasin

The Assasin

Nov 24, 2005
    sorry .. i am a new user. so i am learning.. this web sight and forum is great.!!

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It will probably work alright if you do a decent job. It won't sound any better, but if you've got a spare axe to experiment on (ruin forever) AND the tools for the job AND you just gotta do it, I'd say go for it!

9. The sound will be different, the wood in the body does affect the sound quite drastically

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Don't do it guitars are a lot like cars.. they are built to run a certain way... any overly drastic modifications, will make it work differently.