1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Mods Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tewest86, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Have you guys been keeping up with is company? They are putting out amazing basses now. I've owned 2 and they are great. I love that you can pick your electronics. The action is low and the weight is average. They have come a long way since when they first started. They are now doing custom US builds that are a little less than $2000. He can't keep his basses in stock. Here is a picture of the one I just got. I'm begging you guys check out his FB page and his website. I sold a MIA Fender for this bass and don't regret it one bit. Big time arrests are using Bass Mods now. For example, JLo's bass player. Below are videos of a few Bass Mods basses.

Attached Files:

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fender can go suck eggs! Custom basses are where it's at! BassMods has come a long way. They have a few artist models/endorsees.

bmxican33 likes this.
  3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    The only knock against them is weight! Almost bought one on EBay and directly from Bass Mods, but they were too heavy!

Most of their basses are heavyweights (chambered basses too) and I won't own a heavyweight bass.

If they start building them in the 9.3 lb. range and lighter, I will consider buying one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    lowdownthump, howlin and DWBass like this.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Weight is one of the reasons I haven't bought one yet (or a Sire bass). No guarantees of a light one. Until that day comes, I'm happy with my custom parts bass.

5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Saw a 5 string Sire bass at the Guitar Center about a month ago. I picked it up and it weighed 10 + lbs. Based on the weight alone, I didn't waste my time playing it.

I'm with you when it comes to the weight of: Bass Mods, Sire and Carvin.

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Just a note on the Sire weight. I thought I was one of those that needs a sub 10 lb bass. That was until I played a Sire. 10.2 pounds but it was balanced so well that it didn't bother me at all. Plus mine was a 5 string.

7. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I have blood flow issues, so I know my weight limit regardless of how well the bass balances.

Glad everything worked out for you.

jlepre likes this.
  8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I saw those clips a while ago. Made me put Bartolini Brights and the BassMods pre in my bass... got exactly the tone I've been searching years for!

Mr_O'B likes this.
  9. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    The one I have now is less than 10 lbs. However, there's no guarantee that you will get a lite one. The customs ones they are making seem to be a bit lighter. He posted that it 9.6 lbs.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The problem with guaranteeing light basses is that the price will certainly go up if they do it. Their prices will be like other boutique shops.

11. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I had Bass Mod K6. It was nice bass but extremely heavy 13.5 lbs.
    My Brice Z6 is 11.2 and My TRB JP2 is 10.5
    I don't mind if it heavy but the K6 was too much.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Probably because I am so happy with DJ5, I am inclined to say just get a Jazz you like, and if it is in your budget, buy it and move on. So many companies are making really nice Jazzes, it is hard to go wrong.:bassist:

lowdownthump and Mr_O'B like this.
  13. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    you're a brave soul to say something like that about fender on this site ! your opinion is respected but not cool to disrespect the guy/company who started all
    for us " fender!"

14. ROY PENNON

ROY PENNON

Apr 18, 2016
    Wow 13+ lbs ouch !!!

15. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Yep. it was uncomfortable , too much weight. I sold it because of it
    They are saying the new ones is 11lbs or less.
    Funny thing, Last month i did contact them, looking for another K6 But they are not doing it with the pups i did ask for. So I tried once more but I’m glad it didn’t work out because I kind of don’t believe the bass is less than 11lbs.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    ROY PENNON likes this.
  16. ROY PENNON

ROY PENNON

Apr 18, 2016
    This is my girl--One of a kind Bass Mods custom shop KM5 (aka) {My Vanilla Love} - White Limba Body / Buckeye Burl Top / Birdseye maple neck with Flame maple fretboard-Delano Pickups with a Pike Audio Blue Box preamp plus Copper cavity shielding!... American Made... I Absolutely Love this Bass!!! Bass mods 1.jpg Bass mods 2.jpg Bass mods 3.jpg

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  17. getlive

getlive

Feb 14, 2014
    I bought an absolutely gorgeous K6 a few years back. The look, sound, feel and workmanship were all top notch. But the weight was back-breaking. I had to sell it, because there was no way I could gig with it. I waited a few years, because I figured they would have to deal with the weight issue. A few weeks ago, I found another gorgeous Bass Mods bass online (this one a K5), this one used. It looked like just what I wanted, so I went for it. I haven’t weighed or strapped it on yet but picking it up, the weight seems to be in the same range as my Roscoe SKB-3006, which I gig with a lot. Meanwhile, the sound and feel are once again great. So my initial impression is that this one will work out, but I will post if anything changes...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  18. getlive

getlive

Feb 14, 2014
    Update: I compared my K6 to my Roscoe SKB-3006. Turns out that the Roscoe only weighs 8.5 lbs., while the K6 weighs exactly 11. Meanwhile, my Fender Marcus Miller 5-string weighs exactly 10. Make what you will of those specs. As far as my own back is concerned, 11 lbs. is definitely my limit.

19. getlive

getlive

Feb 14, 2014
    I meant to type K5 in my second post...

20. BuddhaofBass

BuddhaofBass

Jul 13, 2013

You and I have similar taste!
    Bass Mods 5.jpg

ROY PENNON likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021