1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Names

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SilverForest, Aug 31, 2008.

1. SilverForest

SilverForest

Aug 31, 2008
    Ever since I got my bass I loved it. I used to play the violin, until I switched for school. Violin just wasn't my instrument even though i played for about 8 years. I decided to name my bass Antoinette. Are there any other people that name their basses? :D

2. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    my main bass (carvin) i call preston.

it got this name because when carvin shipped the bass to me, they gave an incorrect tracking number. eventually when i went to track it it said it was delivered and someone named "preston" signed for it. scared the poo out of me, untill the next day when my bass showed up..

i remember hearing about keith richards often reffering to his main telecaster as whatever name..it was something with an M? i think it was a character from a play..an odd name. but i guess when youve done what keith has done in his lifetime, anything is acceptable..

3. My Fender Bass has the name of "Windextor."
    Came from a jazz band practice where the Dane Cook joke was said and we used my bass in a skit involving windextor.

4. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    My laminated bass is named Fat Albert, after the Bill Cosby character. My carved bass is far too pretty to be a boy, so she became Fat Alice. My wife insists that all of my instruments must have names.

5. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    I call my Pavel Jazz Pro 5 Deluxe, "Blue Butta", respectfully! Thanks Pavel

Pavel Jazz Bass endorser

LamentliveatSaku08-1.
    PurpleRain-1.

6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a blonde Kay and a brunette Lang.. the Kay I call Brigitte and the Lang is Anna.

7. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    My American Standard's name is Rene...

8. My bass is named Brown Sugar, Big Boy/Girl for its Panormo like shape and huge shoulders. and also Dracela (like a female Dracula) because it was carved in Romania, where Transylvania is located.

9. Seems like a lot of people wandered to the dark side.

10. Caoimhín

Caoimhín Langer

Jul 26, 2007
    Wicklow, Ireland
    My bass is called 'Suibhne Gealt sa Tor' - which translated from Irish means 'Mad Sweeney in the Bush' or just Mad Sweeney for short (Suibhne Gealt).

11. From "At Swim-Two-Birds"?

12. wdave

wdave

Apr 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ethel

13. Caoimhín

Caoimhín Langer

Jul 26, 2007
    Wicklow, Ireland
    Exactly!

14. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I call my Les Paul Bertha because shes big and heavy lol my PL5050 is called The Beater Bass ... lol

15. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Antoinette? Hmm ... Marie Antoinette was executed by guillotine during the French Revolution. I hope you have better luck with your bass's head than she did with hers. :smug:

I named my Gibson Ripper "Jack" - ha, imagine that! I got a new natural G&L Tribute L-2000 a few weeks ago that, for now, I've named "Blondie".

Edit: Oops. I just noticed ths is the DB forum. Mine are both SB's (single basses :)). I don't even know what "double" signifies.

16. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah looks like alot of us including myself have made that mistake lmao

17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    DB's name is Kitty. The slabs were Betty & Veronica - did a neck swap on those two though so it doesn't quite apply anymore.

18. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    in all of my years playing bass...i have never named my instruments....i have no idea why...

19. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Mine EC1 is Annabelle. My 5 y/o son liked that name and he thinks my instruments need names.

20. Old Ibanez soundgear with MIDI pickup and half sanded off paint job and replacement pickups (It's had a tough life)
    .......I call him "The B@%tard"