1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass PC Software

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dmiels, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Dmiels

Dmiels

Apr 8, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Help,

Please excuse my very limited knowledge of music theory. I’m strictly a play by ear musician which leads me my question. Would any of you know of some PC software that would allow me to import songs and then extract just the bass portion from the song? Then perhaps even drop or raise the key of the song? I’ve been out of the industry for a long time and with the kids off to college I’ve been asked to rejoin a local band in my area. I have some work to do so being in the IT field I would imagine that there must be something out there that could help me get up to speed. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Fred

2. learn by listening to the mix - it'll be more useful in the end (ear training)

as for moving the key to play along - believe it or not, try youtube. You'd be surprised how many versions of tunes there are out there . . .

3. Dmiels

Dmiels

Apr 8, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, I purchased a Vox headphone amp that allows me to plug in the IPOD. Thats been helpfull. I'll check out tdub0199's portable bass trainer too.

Thanks for the help, FM

4. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    You might want to look at this:

The Amazing Slowdowner

http://www.ronimusic.com/

This will not isolate the bass part but it will transpose, slow down(I find it still useable at 50%speed) and loop a specific passage. Also you can save your changes as a new track. In other words if I need the song in A and it's in G I just transpose and save then add to my playlist and I am good to go.

Now you do lose some definition with the changes. If a part is complicated I may learn it in the original key. Then make a copy in the key I want to practice.

The slow down feature is great. I have gotten into the habit of going through my set list at about 75%. I will really tighten you up.

Best 50.00 I ever spent. I could not imagine doing my church gig without it.

Oh, and you can download a sample program to try it out.

5. Dmiels

Dmiels

Apr 8, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Great!! thanks Chriss

6. Ever used guitarpro?

7. Dmiels

Dmiels

Apr 8, 2010
    Boston, MA
    No, just checked it out though. I'll give the trial a whirl.

Thanks

8. It wont pull a track from an actual song, but if you can find a guitarpro file for whatever song you're looking for, it should be able to help you. My band uses it all the time.

9. Dmiels

Dmiels

Apr 8, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Thank you to all that have taken the time to respond to my request. There are some really great people out there.

Thanks again, Fred

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  11. Guitar Pro is a good tool but ignore the bass track because it's usually a simple bass line that has nothing to do with the original or is somewhat close at best.

It is actually good when muting the bass, to practice over a "band".

By the way I just got GP6 (as part of my being part of the beta test) and it's got pretty good sounds now.

12. It really matters how much effort whoever made the file put into it. Most of the files I have downloaded have note-for-note bass tabs.

13. As Stumbo says, use BestPractice.....the Karaoke settings can help isolate the bass lines. It also allows slowing down and modifying the key.