bass piano combo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassMus1k, Aug 1, 2004.

1. BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    hey everyone. thanx for all the previously great info you have all provided me with. but to get to the point, my cousin plays piano and i play bass. i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good song for he and i to play together. we are both what would qualify as intermeiate but are looking for something fun to play together. perferrably something that would fall under the jazz category but any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

do you both know how to improvise over a blues chord progression? if so, that can be fun.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    +1 to the blues.. If both of you are intermediate, and new to jazz, some random blues jams would be good. Or, if you two know any jazz standards, that would be pretty cool.
  4. I would recommend a simple blues tune such as "Freddie the Freeloader" which is in the key of Bb. Listen to the original version from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue recording and you can get some ideas on how it should go. If you are able to play a walking line through the chord changes and your cousin plays the melody it could sound really good. The piano player's left hand could play "tritone shells" to suggest the dominant chords in the progression so that he will stay out of your way. (Ab and D for the Bb7 chord, G and Db for the Eb7 chord, A and Eb for the F7, and Gb and C for the Ab7 chord). Hope this helps.
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

"watermelon man" by herbie hancock is also really fun. it goes (when in F)... ||: F(4bars), Bb(2bars), F(2bars), C, Bb, C, Bb, C, Bb, F(2bars) :||
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Get a couple of jazz charts for tunes you like, play some blues. work on some funky groove lines before to have ready.

Have fun with it and see how the interaction is....try to do some improv around a tonal center.

see if he can walk a bassline...frees you up for solos and is a differnt role w/ out the drummer you had better keep your time.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm starting to gig with a jazz trio, with bass, keys, and vox/flute. We've all been playing in a sextet for a while as well. So far, we've found that ballads are very satisfying in the trio format. Try some pieces that don't make the keyboard player try to walk over your lines. We keep the up-blues/groove/swinging tunes mostly for the sextet. Try "Georgia" for starters, I find that very fun to play with just the keys and bass.