Bass picked up a metallic overtone a few weeks ago

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cozz33, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Cozz33

Cozz33

Jul 24, 2022
    A few weeks ago I was having trouble with a rattle coming from my neck pick up (22 rickenbacker 4003) so I took off the pickguard to inspect it and make sure everything was snug. After reassembly I noticed my bass had picked up a metallic overtone to nearly every note. The best way I can describe it is this but it stops shortly after I lift up on the fret.

Things I have tried: lowering/highering pickups, action adjustments, shimming the nut with paper, very slight truss rod adjustments, and different picking methods/velocity.
    Aside from the neck pickup rattle I described earlier, the bass was very quiet up until recently. What could be causing this sound? Any ideas I could try?

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Check around the bridge. I’ve had sounds like that when things weren’t quite right there. In one case a ball wasn’t quite seated right. It can’t hurt to check.

3. Cozz33

Cozz33

Jul 24, 2022
    Thanks for the reply Tom. So far I've fiddled with the screws that adjust the action and those rollers that the strings sit on, neither seemed to help. Anything else on the bridge I can play around with?

TomB likes this.
  4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Sorry, I don’t know Ric bridges that well. My issue / solution was generic to any bridge. Have you tried re-mounting the strings?

5. Cozz33

Cozz33

Jul 24, 2022
    By re mounting, do you mean change them out?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Its a long shot, but worth mentioning...

I'm at work and can't listen to your file, but I had a bizarre metallic sounding issue with one of my basses once, and found that a little piece of metal had somehow lodged itself into one of the pole pieces on my pickup. You might want to check that nothing is interfering with the pickup itself.

7. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

If it is active, change the battery...

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    No. Try taking them back off, one at a time, and reinstalling. Make sure no twisting occurs as you tighten, that is, make sure the ball end is free to turn until you’re at some tension. Twisted strings make strange noises. It’s worth a try since it’s free.

Bloomfield likes this.
  9. Cozz33

Cozz33

Jul 24, 2022
    I'll try that, thanks!