1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass plugged into home theater system..

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Roger89, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Roger89

Roger89

Apr 12, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I am new to bass playing and this forum. I'm actually an acoustic guitarist but recently my church has been requiring bass players to fill up the empty spaces in the bands. So I opted to play bass and now I am seriously considering in improving my bass playing skills for the sake of my band.

I would be geting a bass guitar soon and I want to know if it is possible to plug in the bass into the microphone jack of the home theater system's amplifier? How would the sound turn out compared to the sound from a bass amp(if such item exists..) or a standalone one?

Thanks!

2. Bass amps do indeed exist. In fact, there are several different choices.

3. Welcome to the forum.
    I'm not sure how it would sound through a home theatre system. Might sound great, might be awful! Careful not to blow anything, a well struck bass can put out a lot more juice than a typical mic.

Do yourself a favour, go to a music store first and play as many bass amps as you can (there are lots!). Then you'll know the sort of sound to expect.

4. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    you can play a bass through a home theater system. It won't sound as good, you miss your mid-range definition but it does work as long as you don't push it too hard.

5. I caught a woofer on fire playing bass through the mic input on my home stereo tape deck @ age 14. Didn't have it up very loud either. I don't think the components are meant to withstand a bass instrument, especially through a hot "mic" input.

btw i beat the speaker fire out with my good ren and stimpy t-shirt and got in big trouble from the folks. The house smelled like burning plastic for a week. You can get small practice amps for under $100!

6. Roger89

Roger89

Apr 12, 2009
    Haha.. alright guys.. thanks alot!