1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Pod XT Live and DI boxes

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I read thru the few threads on using DI and still don't have answers to my ?s.

For the majority of our gigs, I use my rig and use the DI output on the back of the head. (My chain: passive and/or active bass ->Pod XT Live -> Marshall MB450h --> PA) Occasionally, we get double booked and I don't like tearing down my entire rig on these occasions. Enter my Pod with its onboard amp emulations! One of the many features of my Pod XT Live I like is being able to run directly to the board from my Pod. That said, my Pod's outputs are all 1/4", no XLRs:(

Do I need to use a DI box in-between my Pod and the PA? It seems to be hit or miss whether or not the soundguys at our venues carry long 1/4" to 1/4" cables. (This chain: passive bass -> Pod ->DI Box? -> PA)

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Yes

I am not 100% familier with the Pod Xt Live, so I will give you the run down on the standard Pod, and the Pod Pro.

Standard Bass Pod Xt
    You have a single modulated signal output, which is 1/4". Set your bass pod to 'studio'. This runs to a DI box, and thus to the PA. The 1/4" out of the DI box goes into your amp head. Either you chose to go into the input and then EQ until you have a good 'on stage' sound, or feed directly to the return jack. Either way it doesn't matter as the audience will hear the Pod's simulated output through the PA, and your bass amp is just a monitor.

Bass Pod Xt Pro
    The advantage of the Pro is the duel output. Send the studio output signal to the DI box, and thus the PA. Send the Live (with or without horn depending on your amp) output direct to the return jack of your amp.

When it comes to who's DI box to use, I keep a cheap Behringer BDI21 on my pedal board just in case. Every now and then the venues system will fail, and the BDI21 is a very reliable backup. Also, if your bass pod was to go down, having something very similar to a Sansamp close is a great insurance policy.

3. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    When I had my Bass Pod XT Live, I ran the modeled out into a Radial JDI, and this worked GREAT.

4. Thanks for the input (or output!:scowl:) Sorry! Our leader has a Behringer DI that I've used when I've needed one, but I guess it's just another tool I should personally own.

As my backup for the gigs I've just used my Pod, I've also brought my head along - just in case. Granted I'll still be completely be at the mercy of the soundguy for both my stage sound and FOH, but I guess that's the trade off for extreme portability. My other option is bringing the very small underpowered combo I use at our practices. It has a line out...but again it's only 1/4" out:(

5. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I use a POD XT PRO and no you dont need a second DI its built in.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

If your FOH board accepts line level inputs, you don't NEED a DI box, but it's always good to have one around especially for longer cable runs.

7. larjo

larjo

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    You do not need a DI Box! You can use balanced cables out from your Pod XT Live, if you need XLR on the other side you just need to have TRS (balanced 1/4") on the side that is connected to the POD and XLR on the other end of the cable or a conversion plug.

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    By the way guys, I have a standard bass pod Xt, not live or pro. There is no XLR out. just DI (no pod processing) and modded:

[​IMG]