Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pvriesinga, Oct 24, 2003.

1. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    This is my home brew rickenbacker bass so far. The neck in the picture was a test neck. I used maple with walnut along the wing to neck contact areas. Suggestions are welcome.

Phil

2. doing a great job man!

shane
    aka zyz zyvazyva

3. Excellent!!

You just never see a home-brew Ric. Better watch out for the copy police!!;)

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    That just looks so cool:) I like it:cool:

5. Are you going to go with Rickenbacker style bridge and hardware on it as well? The bass is looke great right now by the way.

6. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    thanks for the comments. I do plan to go all the way with the rick style with the pickups and bridge. The rick sound is to die for so i figured why not.

Phil

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I love it, Phil! I'll be watchin' this thread.

8. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    is anyone here willing to take certain pictures of their rick bass for me? if so could ya send em to pvriesinga2@go.com. I need a side picture of the bridge and the the part where the fretboard/neck meets the body wings (also side). thanks

Phil Vriesinga

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Just a thought.

Building your own bass is a great accomplishment and therefore something you should be proud of. BUT... if I were you, I wouldn't broadcast the fact that I was copying a brand named bass.

There have been a number of companies sued over copies that came too close to the original product. I don't know the specifics as to why they were sued. I don't know how much a company will come after you if you are just making it for yourself (as apposed to making money off of some other company's design by selling the copies).

I would tread lightly though. Just a thought.

10. Bob, Phil doesn't have anything to worry about running afoul of RIC's police. The courts recognize the difference between replica's built by individuals for their personal use and copies built by competing companies and designed to cut into the market share held by the original design. As long as Phil doesn't start building multiple copies and selling them, he won't have a problem. As a matter of fact, Ebay will even let you sell a RIC copy but you can't use any RIC references in your ad. That's legit since these trademarks are owned by RIC and limiting their use is only responsible brand maintenance. There is nothing illegal about the sale, just the use of RIC terms in it's promotion. The final aspect of this issue is damages. RIC can always insist on clamping down on the use of it's designs in commerce but for them to be compensated for this illegal activity, they must demonstrate damages. Phil's homemade bass doesn't rise to that level at all.

11. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    yeah, i am pretty sure i will be safe. One home made bass wont ruin a bass... The only reason i decided to copy the design was because its a simple one for a first homemade bass. I plan on designing my own next time around, this is just a test. thanks for the concern though.

Phil

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

That's good to know. I would just hate to see you have problems.

Keep the pictures coming.

13. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    progress will be very slow as i am broke, but once i get some rosewood fingerboard and the bridge i will be building the real neck. And its my first bass so i am taking my time.

Phil

14. joeviau

joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Are you going to use the standard or vintage pickups?

15. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    i do plan on using standard rick pickups, but they are back ordered. I may have to use maybe a seymour rickenbacker bridge pup for now.