1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Soul Food: Where is the Love?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Apr 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I got a bass soul food in a trade a while back and I remember trying it and really liking it but I had a Sansamp so put it aside for a while. Then, for a song I needed a high gain overdrive sound and couldn't get that kind if sound with the sansamp. So, I tried the bass soul food without it and my goodness. I'm in love with the tone. When I put the drive, blend, and treble almost to max it has a great overdrive sound that doesn't take away from the note.

I played with it more and it also has a great tube amp sound. Dare I say it, I have replaced the sansamp with it. The best thing is that I traded for it ($50). I looked all over this forum and there no love for it. I watched some reviews with it being tested with other much more expensive pedals and it holds it own. Just curious what other people experiences were. And if you are looking for a cheap overdrive, I recommended this!!

Mili, Rojd, TN WOODMAN and 3 others like this.
  2. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Tried one ... took it right back, stayed with my VOX Ice 9

3. Just curious, what didn't you like about it?

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Just no distinct character and I’ve never gotten along with split pedal as in leave the low bass clean and process the rest of the signal

IronLung1986 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  5. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    I think that it doesn't get much love for the things it doesn't do. Feels like it doesn't do enough of something that I can't put my finger on. I find it's range for drive is better if you use an active bass, otherwise it just feels like a boost pedal so maybe it's tonal qualities and range are just not enough of a difference for many people to appreciate.

I A/B'ed it with my Spark. The Soul Food is definitely a more subtle range of drive and tonal variation. What I do notice is that the Soul has more ability to pass the lower frequencies, probably because of the blend knob. If Spark had a blend, I think nothing would compete with it.

OldFunBass and TN WOODMAN like this.
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I think it’s not expensive enough. I got mine new for $67.

If it had a $250 price tag, it would be included in more of the “shootout videos”.

I have it on my board, and use it and the guitar version often.

try the TC mojomojo too... it can be had brand new for $50.

PWV, PillO, Rojd and 7 others like this.
  7. Im looking for a Klon style overdrive pedal, and judging from a couple of the demos I've seen, the Bass Soul Food could be it. Looking forward to trying it out. Josh from JHS always speaks highly of it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    TN WOODMAN and FugaziBomb like this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Actually, I think I've seen more love for it here recently than ever before. Not sure why, but that's the impression I've gotten lately. I'm not saying it's a well loved pedal here because there are still a lot of pretty vocal detractors. But I do think @Allegrus has a point that some people do complain that it doesn't get dirty enough. That's not the only criticism of it, but that has been one criticism.

I've never heard a Klon, so I don't know if the BSF is a good copy or not. But that doesn't matter to me. I think it sounds great as a low-gain drive, which suits my needs well, and I use it a lot. I do also have several other OD pedals that I rotate in, plus a few others that I really don't use at all, and my BSF gets as much use as any of them.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I thought this was a food thread
    I bet I am not the only one

instrumentlevel and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I like mine it’s the only pedal I use besides my Korg tuner, it’s always on for my needs!! I’ve never used pedals in 40 years of playing, maybe it’s a midlife crisis thing IDK, but Lately I’ve been contemplating the Fender Downtown Express! 04EC63A1-9F08-435C-B50A-26BCD0D95E6E.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  11. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    How does the mojomojo work and sound with bass since it’s a guitar pedal, do you combine it with the BSF?

12. Funny thing is that is why I love it! The subtlety is nice but I could get it pretty dirty just blast the treble!

TN WOODMAN and dave64o like this.
  13. I like it, I have 2. Some players have an aversion EHX in general, I think. Not me.

14. I have one, decent pedal for sure. It doesn't quite do it for me but works well as a subtle drive. My biggest issue was, even with the blend knob, I'd lose enough low end using it to have to compensate for it with my bass knob.

Now, if instead the blend knob was a low-end bypass, I think it would be a winner!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I've tried the Soul Food and the bass Soul Food and I actually liked the Soul Food better. I thought the blend control on the bass Soul Food would help but I still preferred the tone of the Soul Food but that's just me. Actually I'm happier with the tone of the drive function of my Magellan.

guitarflinger likes this.
  16. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    I have one, dont love it. works well enough but it's pretty mild in grit compared to its guitar counterpart, which screams.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I like mine. Love is a strong word, when referencing an effects pedal.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I find we all have a different sound in our heads that we seek. Sometimes that changes over time because of something we've heard in the context of a song... then other times it changes for reasons unknown.

If I listen to my sound 10 years ago I would wonder how I was satisfied with that.

10 years from now I may have a have a different sound I'm sure, hopefully better.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  19. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It’s a mild drive. It stays on my board but there is a hot tubes downstream of it that is my go to drive. I use drive rarely - mostly just during intense jam builds. Engaging both happens occasionally.

My GK drives naturally when I dig in so maybe the BSF isn’t really necessary

TN WOODMAN and Kukulkan61 like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I was just wanting a really mild OD effect to sizzle and warm my tone just a hair, my GK L800 is amazing and punchy and with the BSF going thru it just adds that effect even tho it has an OD option..

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021