Bass sounds too bright with no low end.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Jeremiah Dan, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Jeremiah Dan

Jeremiah Dan

Apr 28, 2020
    Hi! I have a Sire Marcus Miller P7 (5 string, Swamp Ash body, Maple Fretboard. P-J pickups), & it sounds tooo Bright!! I bought it just October 2019.

I tried semi-heavy gauge Nickel plated Daddario strings, increasing the action of the strings and Nothing seems to work!!!

I just don't hear Low end from the bass!! Even the B & E strings just put out a lot of hi-mids.

Absolutely no warmth or lows to the sound in Active/Passive mode even with the Tone at 0%.

Any suggestions for punchy sounding pickups, warm sounding strings?

Anything else I can do to hear "Bass" from it
    Please help.

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    It has a preamp on it, so use it.
    Also, how do you know it has no bass? What do you use to amplify?

3. Jeremiah Dan

Jeremiah Dan

Apr 28, 2020
    It does have a pre amp on it, but I hate the stock sound or the sound in Passive mode. Too bright.

Also I'm using an Orange Crush Bass 50 (12" driver) which definitely does NOT have a flat eq & directed more towards the low end.

And yet, I hear no low end.

4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Ok, this is a bass guitar with two pickups: split (P) and single coil bridge (J). Put it in passive mode (bypass preamp)and put balance on P. How does that sound?
    If it's still too bright, close passive treble.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  5. Jeremiah Dan

Jeremiah Dan

Apr 28, 2020
    I did that. Sounds a tiny bit better.
    Would flatwound strings help?
    Any pickup suggestions?

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    How about lower your bridge pickup and/or raise your neck pickup?

7. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I would suggest to you, to listen to examples of this model on youtube. If it sounds just like your guitar, than nothing is wrong with it. You just have to find the sound you like.
    I would first try with onboard preamp. Add bass and low mids, cut the treble.
    If that's no good, get a set of flatwound strings.
    I don't think changing pickups would help. Differences between model are more subtle, and there is nothing wrong with stock pickps.

8. Jeremiah Dan

Jeremiah Dan

Apr 28, 2020
    RattleSnack likes this.
  9. Yes!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021